Food businesses

Latest updates from Department of Human Service on COVID-19
Translated information

Are you thinking of starting a new food business? Before commencing works on your new business, make sure to apply for the necessary permits. For example, you may need a permit to renovate a building, or require a liquor license.
The information on this page will help you understand the regulations and codes you need to be aware of. If you are still unsure of what permits you need, contact our Small Business Officer on 1300 368 333 or complete a Small Business Pre-Application Assessment.
From 1 July 2021 if you are buying an existing food business you will no longer be able to transfer the Food Act registration. You will need to register a new food business, see link below.