Every residential property in Yarra Ranges has one annual hard rubbish collection. Hard rubbish collection dates vary from property to property.
Find your waste collection date
Items for hard rubbish collection must be placed on the nature strip by the Sunday evening prior to the start of your collection week. Materials must not be placed out more than one week prior to your collection week. Late materials will not be collected.
Before considering items for hard waste, consider offering usable items to charity or advertise them online.
To ensure your items are collected your waste must be separated into three piles: hard waste, metals and bundled branches.
Each pile must be no more than 3 cubic metres.
To ensure your items are collected, your hard waste must be:
- Up to 10 pieces of timber (not fencing)
- Glass, shower screens and mirrors must be wrapped and clearly marked as glass
- TV's, computers and electronic equipment
Metals, whitegoods and equipment (fridge doors removed)
To ensure your metals are collected, your metals must be:
- Maximum length of 1.5 meters for each individual item
- Maximum weight of 50kg for each individual item
To ensure your branches are collected, your branches must be:
- Up to 20 bundles of branches
- Each bundle is no larger than 1.5 meters long and 200 millimetres wide
- Tree limbs (75mm – 200mm diameter). Straight clean logs with side branches removed. Maximum 1.5m long.
- Branches (up to 75mm diameter) tied with non-plastic string. Maximum 1.5m long.
What will not be collected?
A detailed list of items that you can dispose of as hard waste is available online. Some common items that will not be collected include:
- Bricks, rubble, excavated material, concrete, soil or earth, building, renovation or demolition material, cement sheeting
- Bamboo, creepers, vines, palm trees, soft plants, rose bushes, thorny plants, weeds, grass clippings or leaves
- Untied branches or branches tied with plastic twine, stockings or wire
- Barbed wire
- Branches containing nails or wire
- Batteries, car tyres, trucks or tractor tyres, suspension springs or engines
- Stumps or roots
- Tree limbs larger than 200mm in diameter or more than 1.5m long
- Tree limbs (thicker than 75mm and up to 200mm diameter) with side branches attached
- Broken glass (unless wrapped)
- Chemicals, liquids, paints, oil, fluids, asbestos or hazardous materials
- Industrial, business or commercial waste
- Household garbage, recyclables or polystyrene
- Gas cylinders, fuel tanks or water tanks
- Loose garden organic material in boxes, bags, containers or bins
- Hard waste from vacant blocks
- Asbestos (find out what to do with asbestos)
Find answers to our most frequently asked questions about the hard rubbish collection. Read the FAQS
Report a missed collection within one week of your collection date for further investigation.
Report a missed collection