Having difficulty paying your rates?

If you are having difficulty paying your rates, Council can help.

Contact us on 1300 368 333 to discuss the following options before your payment is due or apply online below. 

Special payment arrangements

Special payment arrangements can be made to assist you with making payments.

Payments are made on a frequency and amount that suits your budget

Debt Recovery Action is put on hold by Council.

Payments over 12 months must cover your current rates to be eligible

Outstanding amounts will continue to be charged penalty interest.

Apply for Special Payment Arrangement  

Financial hardship agreements

Customers who are in a position of financial hardship and unable to meet the terms of a special payment arrangement may be eligible for a Financial Hardship Agreement.

Financial Hardship Agreements can be made through Council's Hardship Policy.

Council recently amended the policy to make financial agreements applicable to all rateable properties, if the ratepayers are experiencing financial hardship. 

  • Rates, Charges and Penalty Interest are deferred for 12 months
  • To avoid further financial stress, applicants should endeavour to reduce debts still outstanding within this time.
  • Debt Recovery Action is put on hold by Council.
  • Financial Hardship Agreements that are due to expire, will be notified and required to re-apply to extend their financial hardship agreement.

Apply for a new financial hardship agreement 

Apply to extend your financial hardship agreement


What can happen if rates aren't paid?

  • All unpaid rates will incur a penalty interest rate of 10.00% per year after the payments due date. This applies to annual and both instalment payment methods.
  • You will continue paying penalty interest on overdue rates and charges until we have received full payment of the outstanding amount.
  • We may recover any outstanding amounts plus interest in a Magistrates court by suing for debt.
  • Under Section 181 of the Local Government Act 1989 we may dispose of property where these circumstances exist:
  • There are rates and charges (including enforcement costs and interest) which are more than three years overdue and;
  • There is no current arrangement for the payment of overdue rates and charges
  • There is a court order requiring payment or part payment of the overdue rates and charges

How will my payments be allocated?

Any payments you make on outstanding rates and charges will be allocated in this order:

  • Legal costs
  • Interest
  • Arrears
  • Current rates, charges and levies