Desexing your pet is a responsible choice for pet owners. It helps reduce the numbers of unwanted puppies and kittens and reduces the incidence of roaming, disease and aggression in dogs and cats.
As of 10 April 2010 all cats registered for the first time with Yarra Ranges must be desexed.
Unless the cat:
- Is registered with one of the applicable organisations below (and the owner is also a member):
- Australian National Cats Inc
- Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc
- The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc
- Is kept for breeding by a proprietor of a Domestic Animal Business registered with Yarra Ranges; or
- Has been examined by a Vet who provides written advice stating the pet cannot be desexed due to breeding purposes or harmful to health.
- Proof of these exemptions must be submitted with your Pet Registration Application.
Council is committed to supporting pet ownership in line with the Domestic Animal Management Plan 2022-2026 (DAMP).
Animal Aid Partnership - November 2023
In partnership with Animal Aid Coldstream there is low-cost cat de-sexing available for Yarra Ranges residents.
To be eligible you will need to be:
- a holder of a low-income Health Care Card or Pension Card.
- a resident in Yarra Ranges.
If eligible you'll be able to receive low cost desexing at $40.
This low-cost offer includes:
- cat desexing
- a health check
Places are limited, to make further enquiries and bookings please contact Animal Aid Coldstream on (03) 8756 1300