Desexing your pet is a responsible choice for pet owners. It helps reduce the numbers of unwanted puppies and kittens and reduces the incidence of roaming, disease and aggression in dogs and cats.
As of 10 April 2010 all cats registered for the first time with Yarra Ranges must be desexed.
Unless the cat:
- Is registered with one of the applicable organisations below (and the owner is also a member):
- Australian National Cats Inc
- Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc
- The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc
- Is kept for breeding by a proprietor of a Domestic Animal Business registered with Yarra Ranges; or
- Has been examined by a Vet who provides written advice detailing how the desexing would be harmful to the cat’s health.
Proof of these exemptions must be submitted with your Pet Registration Application.
The reduced cat and dog desexing voucher scheme in Victoria ended on the 31st of December 2022.
This incentive required financial support from AVA, Municipal Association Victoria (MAV) and Council.
We will be ceasing the issuing of pet de-sexing vouchers. Council will honour all currently issued vouchers for one month after the date of issue.
The last date a voucher can be issued by Council is 1 September 2023.
Whilst disappointing, Council will continue to investigate: