Submissions, questions & petitions to Council
Community members are welcome to submit questions, submissions and petitions to Council for consideration.
The links below provide the necessary information to help with making a submission including relevant timelines, online forms and templates.
Make a general submission to Council
Getting your submission listed on the agenda
To make a submission at a Council Meeting regarding an item that is not listed under ‘Business Papers’ on the agenda, please complete the form below or contact the Governance team on 1300 368 333 by 5.00pm 11 days before the meeting at which you want to make your submission.
Complete a General Submission to Council form
Submissions about matters already considered by Council or operational matters will not be considered.
The speakers name and topic of submission to be made at a particular Council Meeting, must be listed on the Agenda for that meeting under ‘Questions and Submissions from the Public’ to be heard.
Presenting your submission at the meeting
The Governance Team will contact you about your request and will also discuss any material or presentations you want to use.
Submit a question to Council
Questions to Council are an opportunity for the community to clarify strategic, policy or any other appropriate matters that may not be listed on the Council agenda.
If your question is about routine Council works, you should instead contact our Customer Experience Team.
Public question time is held at every Council meeting as close as practical to the start of the meeting. A maximum of 15 minutes is allocated for questions that have been submitted.
Before completing the form below to submit a question to Council please be aware of the following:
- There is a limit of two questions per person, per meeting.
- The requirements for questions to Council are set out at Rule 59 of Council’s Governance Rules. A question may be disallowed by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) if they determine that it:
- Questions must be received no later than 5pm on the day prior to the next Council meeting to be considered. Questions submitted after the deadline may be referred to the following Council meeting.
- If a question relates to a matter that is currently subject to community consultation, it will be referred directly to the relevant officer and considered as part of the submission process.
Once received by Council, your question will be acknowledged by our Governance Team.
Questions lodged in writing by the deadline that meet the requirements of our Governance Rules will be read out by the CEO and answered by Council Officers.
A written response to your question will also be provided after it has been addressed at a Council meeting.
Complete the form below to submit your question to Council.
Click here to view form.
Speak to an item on a council meeting agenda
Anyone wishing to speak to an item of business listed on the Council Agenda, should complete the online form below by 5.00pm on the Friday before the meeting.
Only one submitter will be registered to represent those against the item and one submitter to represent those in favour of the item (or the applicant in the case of a planning item).
Submissions are an opportunity to present a view to Councillors and are not a forum for questions or debate.
Submissions should be respectful of Councillors and staff.
Register to speak to an item of business
Submit a petition to Council
You can submit a petition to Council to show support for a particular issue. Petitions will be tabled and received at the next appropriate Council meeting.
We will notify the lead petitioner of the date the petition will be tabled. The lead petitioner will also have an opportunity to speak to their petition at the Council meeting if they wish. Lead petitioners can contact the Governance Team on 1300 368 333 to arrange this or if they have any questions about the process.
To be tabled at Council your petition should:
- Be supplied to Council at least 11 days before a Council meeting. A late petition will be accepted up until 5pm the day before;
- Clearly state the issue to be raised on each page, along with the original signatures and contact details of each petitioner;
- Include the original signatures of at least seven different individuals who live, work, study or do business in Yarra Ranges; and
- Should not relate to matters already considered by Council or matters relating to operational issues.
How to submit your petition
- Submit the original hard copy of the petition at one our Community Links
- Complete an online form to submit your petition digitally
To assist we have created a petition template.
Download the sample petition(DOCX, 25KB)