Request native plants: Ribbons of Green program
We offer free native plants for private properties (over 1 hectare), schools and community groups through the Ribbons of Green program. This program aims to encourage the use of indigenous plants to restore habitats across the Yarra Ranges.
We aim to plant 60,000 native plants each year to provide habitat for native birds and animals.
To be successful for the Ribbons of Green program, you must have:
- Space to plant and grow at least 300 plants (planting area must be over 8 metres wide)
- Defendable space around your home and neighbouring properties as per CFA guidelines
- Time to spend planting and preparing the site
- The desire to establish a bush style habitat
- Permanent fence protection from live stock
Applications are taken before the end of September each year. Plants are distributed for planting the following winter to early spring.
All site preparation and planting is done by the landholder. We provide advice on how to prepare the site, weeds control and plant species selection.
To apply for free native plants or to receive advice on how to prepare your site, register online.
Register for Ribbons of Green
Want to know more about the Ribbons of Green program? Check out our videos below!