Council applies dust suppressant annually either during, or soon after the grading process to roads as listed on Councils Funded Dust Suppressant Program.
The dust suppressant used is an Australian made solution which acts as a stabiliser to bind the road surface to minimise dust for a limited period.
The dust suppressant product is estimated to be effective for a period of 6-8 weeks which is dependent on weather, traffic volumes and other road conditions. No product can eliminate dust entirely or for extended periods.
The dust suppressant application follows the grading program annually during the summer season.
The product can be graded into the watered surface or applied soon after grading and sprayed directly onto the road surface.
Northern area of the Yarra Ranges are expected to commence in November to December. Southern areas of the Yarra Ranges are expected to commence in January. Weather conditions and availability of equipment may affect the application resulting in delays and extending the timeframes of this program.
Other dust suppressant benefits include:
- Reduction of particles becoming air borne (note: no product will eliminate dust entirely and product is effective for a limited time)
- Resistance to traffic wear and retention in pavement
- Resistance to ageing and biodegradable
- Easily applied with common road maintenance equipment
- Workable and responsive to maintenance
Council cannot suppress the entire unsealed road network due to budgetary constraints and suppresses approximately 220kms of unsealed roads which is a portion of the 750kms plus network of unsealed roads. Councils funded dust program is full and additional roads not listed cannot be added.
In recognition of this, council offers a resident funded program where residents can pay for additional roads to be treated.
Only one treatment is applied per year for the roads listed.
View the list of roads to be treated(XLSX, 22KB)
Applications for the 2023/24 Resident Funded Dust Suppressant are now open and will close 5pm on 27th October 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
Please note: Council will not treat privately owned roads, private properties, unmaintained road reserves, driveway accesses, carriageway easements or unmaintained laneways.
- Residents can apply and pay to have dust suppressant applied to their road if the road is listed on Councils Road Register for maintenance and not on Council's dust suppressant list(XLSX, 22KB).
- Applications and payment for the 2023/24 program must have been received by 5pm on Friday 27 October 2023. Late applications are not accepted.
- The minimum length you may apply for is 100m and in increments of 50m
- The dust suppressant product is estimated to be effective for a period of 6-8 weeks, this is dependent on weather, traffic volume and other road conditions. Due to these factors, no guarantee is provided by Council regarding the success of the dust suppressant treatment.
- Dust suppressant can only be applied once, and no refunds are available.
Download application form for resident funded dust suppressant 2023-24(DOCX, 44KB)