Making a miniature garden
What you'll need
- Small flowers
- Small stones
- Small leaves
- Small sticks & pieces of bark
- Pieces of moss or lichen
- Other small found items from the garden
- Plastic container
What is the learning in this activity?
Ages: 3 - 8 Years
Purpose: A great sensory activity which promotes eye hand co-ordination, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, and assists with connecting to nature and encouraging creativity.
1. Get outdoors and go on a hunt to collect the items you’ll need.
2. Place the dirt into the plastic container o create the garden bed.
3. Place the small stones and rocks into the dirt however you like, you might like to make shapes or patterns.
4. Place the sticks, flowers and other small items into your garden—arranging them in a way that you find pleasing.
5. Find a special place to keep your garden, either outside, or perhaps on a window sill indoors.
Qs - Were did you find your flowers, stones, leaves? Who do you think will live in your garden? Do you have any fairies in your garden? What about small creatures or insects?
Extension - You could add small fairies, dolls, or doll’s house furniture to support imaginative play.
We'd love to see your creations and home based play! Share with us on Facebook at @yrfamilies #YarraRangesPlay
You can contact the YRC Family & Children’s Services team on 1300 368 333 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Print the fact sheet(PDF, 927KB)