Making Recycled Soap
Things you'll need for this activity
Old pieces of soap
What you'll learn in this activity
Purpose: Creative activity that recycles soap and creates fragrant soap bars for personal use or gifts.
Let's do this!
1. Grate used soap into the glass jug.
2. Place jug in the microwave and melt soap for 30 seconds. Mix with metal spoon (make sure to remove spoon) and heat again for 30 seconds.
3. Allow melted soap to cool to room temperature and then take a spoonful and roll into small ball in your hands.
4. Add a drop of essential oil to the ball and roll so that the oil absorbs in.
5. Press some dried flowers into the ball and roll to secure them.
6. Place the balls of soap onto a drying rack and allow to dry for 48 hours before use.
Questions: This activity provides opportunity to talk about reusing and recycling and how we can make new things out of old ones. Example - Why is it important to reuse and recycle? What other things do we have around the house that we could reuse or recycle?
Extension: You might like to try creating coloured soap by adding a drop of food colouring to your melted soap mix!
We'd love to see your creations and home based play! Share with us on Facebook at @yrfamilies #YarraRangesPlay
You can contact the YRC Family & Children’s Services team on 1300 368 333 or by email at email@example.com