Asset protection permits



Step 1.Do I need an asset protection permit? 

You will need a permit for the following:

  • construction of a dwelling/unit/townhouse/apartment/dependent persons unit
  • demolition/removal of a structure
  • construction/installation of an in-ground swimming pool
  • commercial/industrial/retail development with cost of works $40,000 and above
  • extension to a dwelling with cost of works $40,000 and above
  • additions/alterations to a dwelling with cost of works $40,000 and above
  • construction of an outbuilding with cost of works $40,000 and above
  • landscaping and/or other works posing a risk to public land/assets
  • access to a site via a Council park or reserve (complete/download a ‘Council Reserve Access Application’) 

The following is a list of common building works that do not require an Asset Protection permit:

  • restumping/underpinning of a dwelling/unit
  • installation of an above-ground pool/spa
  • installation of pool/spa safety barrier
  • internal fit-out (office, tenancy, residential) 

Depending on your works you may also require a building permit or planning permit. Find out more about planning permits and building permits online.

Step 2.Contact the Asset Protection team to apply

To find out more about asset protection permits or to apply for a permit contact the asset protection team by email at or call 1300 368 333

Step 3.Pay the application fee

The team will contact you to arrange payment of the application fee.


Fees & Security Bonds

(valid until June 2021)

Residential Works (including the construction of up to two (2) new dwellings on a site)

Permit Fee                $   256.00 

Security Bond         $1,000.00 *

Commercial Works (including the construction of three (3) or more new dwellings on a site, apartments, large-scale developments, retail developments, etc )

Permit Fee                $   489.50

Security Bond         $2,000.00 *

**  Security bonds listed are minimum bonds.  An Asset Protection Officer may determine that the proposed works are of a high risk to public land/assets and may apply a bond in excess of the minimum specified

How do I get my bond back?

You must have an Occupancy Certificate and/or Certificate of Final Inspection before we can complete the final inspection and/or refund the security bond.

To organise a final inspection, email your Certificate/s. Please allow 10 days to arrange an inspection.

If the inspection reveals no damage to Council land and/or asset(s) which are also found to be in a safe and sightly condition, a request will be made to release the security bond.  The bond will transferred by bank deposit to the applicant.

If the inspection reveals damage to Council land and/or asset(s), or  areas are found to be in a unsafe and/or unsightly  condition, the  permit holder will receive notification outlining works required to be undertaken to reinstate the damaged/unsafe/unsightly land and/or asset(s). 

Once the works have been completed to our satisfaction the request will be made to release the security bond. 

If reinstatement works are not undertaken or to the satisfaction of Council , the security bond will be retained and the works completed by Council.  If the cost of reinstatement works exceed the value of the bond, Council will issue the permit holder with an invoice for the excess costs.

Note:  Unless by special arrangement, AP permit bonds will only be refunded to the original bond payee.

How long is an Asset Protection permit valid?

An Asset Protection permit is valid until the associated building permit(s) has been completed (i.e. an Occupancy Certificate and/or a Certificate of Final Inspection has been issued by a building surveyor).  We must received a copy associated Certificate(s) to be aware that building works have been completed.

Where works do not involve a building permit an asset protection permit is valid for 24 months from the date of issue.

Where building works are of an ongoing nature for several years, and the associated building permit has not expired/lapsed, Council may establish whether the remaining works propose an ongoing risk to public land and/or assets.  Where it is determined by an Asset Protection Officer that the remaining works do not propose a risk to public land and/or asset(s), an Officer may (where no damage as a result of building works is evident) from time to time, determine to refund an Asset Protection security bond and/or otherwise complete an Asset Protection permit.