Apply for Small Grants
The Small Grants Program offers support for community groups responding to opportunities and challenges in their communities.
The program provides funding for activities that promote greater social inclusion, wellbeing and community participation.
Community Relief & Recovery Fund
Emergencies, such as COVID-19 and June 2021 storm events are impacting communities across the Yarra Ranges region.
Community organisations that are supporting people who have been impacted by these emergencies are encouraged to apply through the Small Grants program. Council welcomes applications for activities which seek to build social connection and community resilience. Activities may include those which connect people to the services and information they need, provide training for staff, attract donations and volunteers, or deliver group activities online. Funding is also available to support volunteers who are contributing to the relief effort.
Applicants are eligible to apply for up to $1000. We will endeavour to respond with an outcome to application within two weeks to applications that are responding to the impacts of the emergencies.
Recipient organisations must be a not for profit organisation, a registered charity or incorporated not for profit organisation, or be a group that is auspiced by such an organisation.
Emergency relief services are those defined in the Yarra Ranges Municipal Relief and Recovery Plan. Funding may be used to support the delivery of these services as follows.
- Activities that support improved access and connection to psychosocial support services, health care and first aid, family violence services, and social interaction;
- Activities that support the distribution of food, water and material aid (non-food items) – including food for animals;
- Activities that support access to emergency accommodation (including animal care);
- Activities that support the distribution of community information relevant to current emergencies;
- Training opportunities for staff and volunteers to equip them with the information and skills to assess client needs.
- Direct provision of professional services;
- Purchase of food;
- Activities currently funded by state and federal governments;
- Activities that duplicate programs already being delivered within the same geographical area;
- Activities that support medium to longer term recovery from the current emergency.
Please refer to the Small Grants program guidelines.
Grants up to $1,000 for incorporated not-for-profit business associations and community groups are available for projects, activities and events that have a demonstrated economic benefit to the Yarra Ranges municipality. Considers applications that invest in community-driven projects and partnerships to strengthen, diversify and boost economic activity across Yarra Ranges. Eligible not-for-profit business and community groups can apply once in a financial year for projects meeting the criteria and eligibility requirements.
Economic Development Grants can be applied through the Small Grants Program. Please refer to the Small Grants program guidelines.
How to apply
Before applying for a Small Grant you must read the Small Grants program guidelines.
The Guidelines detail eligibility, selection criteria and key definitions.
Please note that applicants can only be awarded one Small Grant each financial year.
Once you have read the program guidelines, submit an application online.
Please note, Small Grants applications close during the months of June and December each year.
Small grants categories
The Small Grants Program comprises of six categories:
- Connected & Vibrant Communities (up to $1000)
- Community Planning for acknowledged Community Plans (up to $1000)
- Economic development (up to $1000)
- Youth Pathways (up to $250)
- Sports Participation (up to $350)
- Hall and facility hire (up to the value of $300)
- Resources for waste management (up to 30 bins).
Funding is awarded on a competitive basis.
Key dates and timelines
The Small Grants Program runs on a monthly basis. Applications are assessed quickly, with a turn around time of under four weeks. Approximate times are detailed below.
Please note, Small Grants applications are closed during the months of June and December each year.
Applications can be submitted in advance.
Applications cannot be submitted after the event or activity has already passed.
Activities must take place after the grant has been awarded.
- Rounds closes - last calendar day of each month
- Assessment - Two to three weeks from round closing
- Notification - One week from assessments closing
Join our mailing list
Interested in hearing about grant and free training opportunities? Join our mailing list!