Hard rubbish FAQs

23 Result(s) Found

No. Council’s hard waste collection is currently an annual service (once a year) and bundled branch collections twice a year.

Being a large municipality with a high tourism population such as Yarra Ranges Council, an ‘on-call’ system is not viable based on the distances required to be travelled to provide the service on a daily basis, and it would also impact on the amenity of this area.

In Council’s where an on call booking system is utilised (eg. Maroondah & Knox), residents are able to book the services at any time throughout the year. As a result, based on the sequence of bookings hard rubbish can be visible all across the municipality all year round.

No more than one week prior to your collection date.

Preference is no earlier than the Sunday before the scheduled collection week for your property.

“Hard Waste” means household waste items not suitable for collection in the regular kerbside bin garbage and recyclables collections. These items are often large, bulky or otherwise difficult to dispose of in regular bin collections.

  • 3 cubic metres of hard waste,
  • 3 cubic metres of bundled branches and
  • unlimited metal (provided it meets the requirements of the service listed in the waste booklet and on the website)

Visit our Hard Waste page for more information.

What if I feel it is dangerous to have waste collected in front of my property as we live on a narrow road or hill?

The contractors have systems in place to ensure the service is provided safely. If your kerbside waste collections are performed from the same location, then the hard waste collection can happen from there also.

  • Gas bottles
  • Tyres
  • Bricks
  • Building/renovation material
  • Asbestos
  • Concrete
  • Soil
  • Stones
  • Domestic Garbage
  • Car Springs
  • Thinners
  • Paints
  • Dangerous Goods
  • Solar panels

Please refer to the waste booklet or visit our Hard rubbish page for more information, including alternative methods of disposal for items not accepted.

 How does the truck know what is ours and what is our neighbours? (We don’t want a knockback notice)

Ensure that you only place out acceptable material in accordance with the collection requirements. To avoid confusion, place material in separate piles and not one pile for all properties.

Place your address on a piece of paper with the hard waste pile so that the contractor is aware of where the waste has come from.

If you receive a knockback notice for material that is non-compliant, you are required to remove the material and return it to your property and make alternative arrangements for disposal.

If it isn’t your waste, report it to Council on 1300 368 333 and it will be investigated.

We currently have processes to recycle the following materials from the hard waste collection:

  • Bundled Branches
  • Metals
  • E-waste (Electronic waste eg. TVs, computers)
  • Mattresses (Metal springs are recycled)

All other material is sent to landfill. We continue to work with industry to increase the items that can be recovered through this service. We encourage residents to consider offering suitable items to charities or for free through social media outlets before disposing it through the hard waste collection. Items in good working order could also be sold via a garage sale.

Page 1 of 3