If you can eat it or it is part of something that can grow, it is FOGO (Food Organics and Garden Organics). If you're not sure, you can check the list below.
You will also get a kitchen caddy sent out to you to help you make the most of the FOGO service. Place food scraps into your kitchen caddy and regularly empty it into your FOGO bin.
An information pack has been sent to you with your kitchen caddy. If you need a copy, you can download the Recycling and Waste Guide 2023 Booklet. (PDF, 2MB) See the FAQs for more information on how to use your kitchen caddy.
If you receive a new FOGO bin, please do not put it out for collection prior to 2 October 2023.
If you already have a lime green lidded green waste bin, please don’t put food scraps in it prior to 25 September 2023.
What can I put in my FOGO bin?
What can't go in FOGO bin
- Compostable/Biodegradable liners not supplied by Yarra Ranges Council
- All food packaging including fruit stickers, elastic bands, and plastic wrap/cling wrap
- Compostable or biodegradable packaging
- Nappies and sanitary items including those labelled as biodegradable or compostable
- Animal waste and kitty litter
- Textiles and fabric, including natural fibres
- Hard seafood shells, including oyster shells and clam shells
- Liquids including cooking oil and milk
- Teabags and coffee pods
- Treated and painted timber
- Ash, rocks, and soil
- Bricks and building materials
- Disposable baby and makeup wipes, including those labelled as biodegradable or compostable
- Plastic items and plastic bags
- Metals and wire
- Gardening items, including plant pots, gardening tools, garden hoses.
- Noxious weeds
Things to remember
- Please do not overload your bin or make it too heavy and ensure that the lid can be fully closed. Our trucks have a 75kg weight capacity. If your bin is too heavy or overfull, you may receive a sticker on your bin notifying you that your collection could not be completed.
- Larger households or those producing extra waste can choose to order an additional bin. Additional fees will apply.