Skip to main content

Pay your rates

 Pay your rates quickly and securely online using Visa or Mastercard.
You'll need your reference number, which is located on your rates notice.


Pay online now


When do I pay?

Pay in full by 15 February 2019 or by installments.

Pay in four instalments (due end of September 2018, November 2018, February 2019 & May 2019).

Pay in nine monthly instalments (due end of each month from September 2018 through to May 2019).

Find out more about instalment options.


Pay early & win

Residents have the chance to be rewarded for paying their rates in full by 5PM on Monday 1 October 2018.

Those paying in full by this date can go into the draw to win.

See the prizes and read the full terms and conditions (PDF, 337KB)


Sign up to receive your rates notice by email

You can now receive your rates notice electronically.

Sign up and your next rates notice will be sent direct to your preferred email address. Sign up or log in to your existing account below.

Learn more about rates

Rate revenue is crucial to ensure we can continue to maintain community assets, build new infrastructure and provide over 120 services to our community.

The average rate increase for 2018-19 will be 2.25%. This is in line with the State Government’s rate capping policy. Learn more about rates through the links below.

7 result(s) found

  • Pay early & win

    Pay early & win

    Rate notices will arrive in your mailbox in August.

    This year, residents have the chance to be rewarded for paying their rates in full by 5pm on Monday 1 October 2018.

    Those paying in full by this date can go into the draw to win:

    • Accommodation and experience for two in the Yarra Ranges
    • A gift voucher for two for a cooking class at Aldente cooking and kitchen cafe 
    • A hamper of Yarra Valley local produce
    • A hamper of Yarra Valley wines
    • Puffing Billy family pass

    Read the Terms and Conditions (PDF, 337KB)

  • Other rate payment options

    Other rate payment options

    You can also pay your rates by the following methods:

    • Post BillpayVisit the Billpay website or call 13 18 16 to pay your rates over the phone. 
      Billpay code: 0335 Reference Number: Your reference number is located next to the Billpay logo on your rates notice
    • BPAY (online or phone via your bank)BPAY code: 8979, Reference Number: Your reference number is located next to the BPAY logo on your rates notice.

    • BPAY View® -  Register through your internet banking to receive your Rate Notice electronically. Visit the BPAY View® website for more information. By registering for BPAY View® you will no longer receive printed version of your Rate Notice.

    • In Person - Pay your rates at any of our Community Links using cash, cheque or EFTPOS including Visa and MasterCard.

    • MailMake your cheque payable to 'Shire of Yarra Ranges' and cross 'not negotiable'. Mail your cheque to Yarra Ranges Council, PO Box 105, Lilydale 3140. Please include your address and assessment number on the reverse of the cheque.

    • Direct DebitYou can apply to have your rates payments direct debited from your nominated financial account by completing a direct debit application form (DOC, 49KB) and sending it to Yarra Ranges Council, PO Box 105, Lilydale 3140.

  • When do I pay my rates?

    When do I pay my rates?

    Rates notices are issued in August each year. You can choose to pay the following ways: 


    You can pay your rates in a lump sum on or before February 15, 2019.

    Four instalments

    Pay over four instalments which must be paid on or before:

    • First instalment September 30, 2018
    • Second instalment November 30, 2018
    • Third instalment February 28, 2019
    • Fourth instalment May 31, 2019

    Nine monthly instalments

    Nine monthly instalments can be paid on or before the last working day of each month with the first instalment being paid by September 30, 2018 and concluding on May 31, 2019.

    Direct Debit

    You can also apply to have your rates payments direct debited from your nominated financial account by completing a direct debit application form (DOC, 49KB)and sending it to Yarra Ranges Council, PO Box 105, Lilydale 3140.


  • Revaluations


    Yarra Ranges revaluations and rates explained

    Council does not generate extra revenue as property values increase or are revalued.

    Increased property values do not increase the amount of rates collected but redistributes the amount paid between individual properties.

    Council uses property valuations to determine how much each ratepayer will pay in rates. Accurate valuations of properties are a critical means of ensuring that property owners pay a fair share of rates.

    Every year Council has a statutory requirement to conduct a review of property values based on market movements and recent sales trends as at 1 January that year.

    Total Capital Improved Value (CIV) of property in a municipality is used as the base against which Council declares its rate in the dollar.

    For more information on property valuations, visit our Property valuations page

    How are rates calculated?

    Rates are a property tax based on property valuations.

    Your general rate charge is based on the CIV of your property and the rate in the dollar declared.

  • Pension rate rebate

    Pension rate rebate

    For 2018/2019 the state government provides concessions for pensioners of 50% up to a maximum of $279.40.

    Who is eligible?

    • Pension concession card holders (issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs)
    • DVA gold card- totally or permanently incapacitated
    • DVA gold card - war widow

    Is there any other criteria?

    • Your eligible card is valid at the time of application
    • You are the person responsible for the payment of the account
    • Your name is on the account
    • Your name and address on the account match the concession card
    • If you move to a new property you will need to reapply

    How many properties can I claim a concession for?

    You can only claim a concession for one property, which must be your principle place of residence.

    For the purpose of this concession the address on your concession card will be considered as your principle place of residence.

    How do I apply?

    You can call Council on 1300 368 333 to obtain a pension concession application form or you can download the application from the Department of Human Services website.

    Once completed you can either mail or bring it to us in person as per the details on our contact us page along with a copy of your concession card.

  • How rate capping works

    How rate capping works

    Watch the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) video, which explains how rate capping works.


  • What if I don't pay my rates?

    What if I don't pay my rates?

    Having difficulty paying?

    We encourage you to contact us on 1300 368 333 before your payment is due, as special arrangements can be made to assist you with making payments. Download and complete our Arrangement to pay form (DOCX, 37KB) and bring it into one of our Community Links.

    All unpaid rates will incur a penalty interest rate of 10.00% per annum after the payments due date. This applies to annual and both instalment payment methods.

    You will continue paying penalty interest on overdue rates and charges until we have received full payment of the outstanding amount.

    We may recover any outstanding amounts plus interest in a Magistrates court by suing for debt.

    How will my payments be allocated?

    Any payments you make on outstanding rates and charges will be allocated in this order: 

    • legal costs
    • interest
    • arrears
    • current rates, charges and levies

    Experiencing financial hardship?

    We have policies to help people experiencing financial hardship. We can assist rate payers by withholding any interest or recovery of rates for a 12 month period. Download and complete our Deferment of rates application form (DOC, 2MB) and bring it into one of our Community Links for consideration.

    What can happen if rates aren't paid?

    Under Section 181 of the Local Government Act 1989 we may dispose of property where these circumstances exist:

    • There are rates and charges (including enforcement costs and interest) which are more than three years overdue and;
    • There is no current arrangement for the payment of overdue rates and charges
    • There is a court order requiring payment or part payment of the overdue rates and charges

Page 1 of  1

Subscribe to Page Updates

Fields marked as required must be completed