Skip to main content

Building & planning

If you are building or changing the way you use your land you may need a planning permit and/or a building permit.

Planning permits relate to the use of land in accordance with the planning scheme A planning permit allows land to be subdivided, developed or used for a particular purpose, such as the use and construction of a house and any associated works; tree removal or to operate a business or other commercial activity. Planning permits are issued by Council, VCAT or the Minister for Planning.

Building permits relate to structures and are required to ensure a construction complies with the Building Regulations. A building permit may be required for a structure, fence or retaining wall. Building permits are issued by a private registered building surveyor.

When a planning permit is required, it will need to be approved prior to a building permit being issued. A building permit must be consistent with requirements of the planning permit.

We provide assistance and advice about construction and land use in the Yarra Ranges.

Prior to commencing any works visit get planning advice to see if a planning permit is required, and then find a building surveyor to discuss obtaining a building permit.