Skip to main content

Planning an event FAQs

Do I need a permit to hold an event?

A permit is not required to hold an event. You may need a permit to cover aspects of your event such as traffic management, food, signage, footpath trading and roadside trading.

Refer to the permit flow chart (PDF, 69KB) and event quick guide book (PDF, 397KB) for more information.

Do I need insurance?

Yes, you need insurance for your event. If you have a large number of people attending you will need to cover yourself as the organiser and the organisation or group you represent.

You'll need up to $10m in cover when booking a public hall or open space. This should cover property and equipment.

What public halls and open spaces are available for my event and how can I book?

How much does it cost to hire a hall or open space?

Charges and conditions are specific to each venue. Bond is also required and is refundable subject to the property being left in its original condition.

What restrictions are there on holding events on private property?

Before you plan an event on private property check with the Planning department regarding the zoning of your property and what restrictions are in place.

Can I serve food?

All businesses, community groups and individuals who sell food require a food premise permit to ensure the food they sell is safe.

Premises are grouped into 4 categories from highest to lowest risk and each type has varying food safety requirements.

Apply for a temporary food permit or fixed premise food registration.    

Can people consume alcohol at the event?

Local Law prohibits the consumption of alcohol in designated dry areas. Most parks and public reserves are designated dry areas.

Drinking in public places provides maps of the designated dry areas and permit requirements.

If you have a Liquor Licence, the Local Law requirement does not apply and alcohol can be consumed, subject to the licence conditions.

Do I need to submit a traffic management plan?

You'll need a traffic management plan if your event requires the closure of a road or street, increases road congestion, restricts access to footpaths or is likely to generate a large amount of pedestrian traffic.

Approval from VicRoads, police, emergency services and the Department of Transport may be required depending on the scale and type of event.   




Subscribe to Page Updates

Fields marked as required must be completed