How to enter
Step 1. Fill in the online Registration Form and pay the registration fee. Alternatively, head straight to one of the Yarra Ranges Council Community Link offices as to register and pay in person.
Step 2. Collect your canvas from one of the following canvas collection points:
- Healesville – Yarra Ranges Council Community Link, 110 River Street, Healesville (9am - 5pm Mon - Fri, 9am - noon Sat)
- Upwey – Community Link, 40 Main Street, Upwey (9am - 5pm Mon - Fri)
- Monbulk – Community Link, 21 Main Road, Monbulk (9am - 5pm Mon - Fri)
- Yarra Junction – Community Link, 2442-2444 Warburton Highway, Yarra Junction (9am - 5pm Mon - Fri)
- Lilydale – YRC Community Link, 15 Anderson Street, Lilydale (8:30am - 5pm Mon - Fri, 9am - noon Sat)
- Warburton* – Arts Centre, 3409 Warburton Highway, Warburton (11am - 4pm Tue – Sun 6:45pm - 9pm Tue, Fri, Sat)
*Canvas pick up only – no in person registration
Please note, if planning to register in person at a Council Community Link it is advised to phone ahead to ensure canvas stock is currently available.
Step 3. Embrace your inner artist and create a portrait of a person who inspires you on the canvas provided! Draw, paint, weave, collage - you may use any medium that can be created on the official canvas board, apart from photography.
Step 4. Complete the attached artwork label that came with your canvas, including short statement about why your subject is great or significant you.
Step 5. Drop off your finished and dry artwork with completed artwork label form to one of the following Artwork Collection Points by Monday 30 September.
The Memo 235 Maroondah Highway, Healesville (closed Mondays)11am – 4pm Tues – Sun, 4pm – 9pm Tues, Fri, Sat
Yarra Ranges Regional Art Museum 35-37 Castella Street, Lilydale 10am - 4pm Mon – Sun
Mooroolbark Community Centre 125 Brice Avenue, Mooroolbark 9am - 5pm Mon – Fri 10am – 2pm Sat
Arts Centre, Warburton 3409 Warburton Highway, Warburton (closed Mondays) 11am – 4pm Tues – Sun 6:45pm – 9pm Tues, Fri, Sat
Variable hours. Please plan your artwork drop off accordingly
Step 6. Bring your friends and family to Yarra Glen and Healesville to see your artwork on display in the street gallery between 12th October and 15th November.
Step 7. Collect your artwork from The Memo, Healesville, between 25 Nov – 11 December. No responsibility will be taken for works not collected by this date.
The registration fee to enter your portrait is: $10 for adults / $5 for 17 years and under. This includes a canvas board (12” x 16”) for you to create your portrait on. All fees are non-refundable.
- All artworks must be created on provided canvas boards – no other formats will be accepted for exhibition. Canvas boards (12”x16”) can be either ordered with your registration for postage, or collected from designated Canvas Collection Points on payment of participation fee and completion of registration
- Portraits must be directed in vertical portrait orientation, not landscape.
- Artworks may be any medium, technique or style other than photography.
- Portraits must be of people who are connected to the Yarra Ranges Shire region; living, working, studying or undertaking regular recreational activities in the area.
- As artworks will be exhibited in public spaces rather than dedicated gallery spaces, certain content may be deemed inappropriate and not permitted to be exhibited. Such content may include, but is not limited to: offensive language or images. The Yarra Ranges Council reserves the right to refuse the installation of a work if it is deemed inappropriate for exhibition.
- All completed artworks must be delivered to an Artwork Collection Point by Monday 30 September*. Please be aware some of the collection venues have variable opening hours and are closed on Mondays – please plan drop off of your artwork accordingly.
- Completed artwork label form must be attached to all artworks delivered.
- Wet artworks will not be accepted.
- Please do not attach any hanging devices to your artwork, as we will supply our own system for exhibition installation.
- All artworks must be clearly marked on the back with the artists’ name and contact details.
- Accompanying artist statement can be no longer than 50 words.
- Artists must live, work or study in the Yarra Ranges area to be eligible for prizes.
- Multiple entries from the same artist will be accepted provided the participation fee and associated application documentation is submitted for each entry.
- The entry must be the original work of the artist/s.
- Employees of Yarra Ranges Council and their direct family members are permitted to enter but will not be eligible for any of the prizes.
Tips and other important information:
- It is suggested that artists focus their portraits on the head and torso of the subject only, in similar proportions to a passport photo.
- A prize will be awarded to a winning entry as judged by an independent panel of artists, apart from the audience prize. The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
Canvas collection / postage
Registrants are responsible for the collection of canvasses from allocated collection points. Canvases can also be ordered online for postal delivery in the first instance. This will incur an additional postage charge of $10 (for a $20 total including registration).
Postage fee is in addition to registration fee. All fees are non-refundable. All fees, including registration and postage, must be received in full prior to shipping. Processing and postage may take up to 7 days.
Canvas collection points
For Canvas collection and In-person registration
- Healesville – Yarra Ranges Council Community Link 110 River Street, Healesville.
- Lilydale –Community Link 15 Anderson Street, Lilydale
- Upwey – Community Link 40 Main Street, Upwey
- Monbulk –Community Link 21 Main Road, Monbulk
- Yarra Junction –Community Link 2442-2444 Warburton Highway, Yarra Junction
For Canvas Collection only
- Warburton – Arts Centre 3409 Warburton Highway, Warburton
Finished artwork drop off
All completed artworks must be delivered to an Artwork Collection Point by Monday 30 September*. Completed artwork information forms must be attached to all artworks delivered.
Artwork collection points*
- The Memo 235 Maroondah Highway, Healesville (closed Mondays)
- Yarra Ranges Regional Art Museum 35-37 Castella Street, Lilydale
- Mooroolbark Community Centre 125 Brice Avenue, Mooroolbark
- Arts Centre, Warburton 3409 Warburton Highway, Warburton (closed Mondays)
*Please note these venues have variable opening days and hours. Please plan your artwork drop off accordingly
Street gallery exhibition Submitted portraits will be exhibited in store front windows on the main streets of Healesville and Yarra Glen from 12 October to 15 November, 2019.
All artworks will be available for collection after the exhibition from The Memo, Healesville the between 25 Nov – 11 December. No storage facilities are available and artworks not collected by 11 December will be disposed of. The Yarra Ranges Council shall be under no liability whatsoever to the artist in respect of any artwork so destroyed or otherwise disposed of.
Neither the Yarra Ranges Council nor the exhibition venues will be responsible for any loss or damage whatsoever, and however caused, to any work once submitted. Each artist is responsible for maintaining his/her own insurance coverage.
Artists grant to the Yarra Ranges Council the (non-exclusive) right to reproduce the artist’s work, both portrait and accompanying statement, in a material form, to publish the artwork and to communicate the artwork to the public, and to sub-license such rights, (in Australia) for the following purposes and anything incidental to such purposes:
- Displaying the artwork in a public exhibition space for an exhibition of Not the Archies entries in 2019. The Yarra Ranges Council may exhibit such entries as it selects for a period of up to two months.
- Advertising and publicizing the Not the Archies and Yarra Ranges Council community projects in all media, including but not limited to all electronic, broadcasting and print media, in perpetuity.
- Including the artwork in a catalogue or slideshow for the Not the Archies Exhibition.
- Producing and reproducing postcards, posters and other signage featuring the works displayed in the Not the Archies Exhibition.
- Publicising any finalist or winning entries the Not the Archies prize and reproducing any finalist or winning entries in any publication by the Yarra Ranges Council or any sponsor of the Not the Archies project, in all media including but not limited to all electronic, broadcasting and print media.
- Photographic, or permitting the artwork to be photographed, at any time between the date the artwork is submitted and the date it is collected.
The artist consents to all uses of the artwork in accordance with the purposes referred to above. The Yarra Ranges Council will, to the extent reasonable, attribute the artist as the author of the artwork and, where it reproduces the artwork and to the extent reasonable, reproduce the artwork in full.
Privacy collection notice
Yarra Ranges Council is collecting limited personal information from you, for the purpose of administering your entry into the ‘Not the Archies’ community art project.
Your information will only be disclosed to relevant Yarra Ranges Council, Community Links, and Yarra Glen Living Learning Centre staff coordinating the ‘Not the Archies’ project.
Your name, name of subject and your short artist statement to be included on your artwork submission will be published with your artwork on display during the street gallery in Healesville and Yarra Glen (12 Oct to 15 Nov, 2019) and during associated ‘Not The Archies’ promotion and exhibition events around the Yarra Ranges.
Your de-identified information may also be used by the Cultural Development team for project evaluation and reporting purposes.
You may access your information by contacting the Cultural Development Officer at Yarra Ranges Council 1300 368 333 during business hours.
P: 03 9294 6417