Hazardous Waste Disposal
Hazardous materials need to be disposed of carefully. They should never be placed into your household wheelie bins.
- Small household batteries can be taken to the following stores for recycling:
- Aldi – accept AAA, AA, C, D, 9V batteries
- Woolworths – accept AAA, AA, C, D 9V and mobile phone batteries
- Officeworks – accept AAA, AA, C, D, 9V, laptop and mobile phone batteries
- Bunnings – accept AAA, AA, C, D, 9V and power tool batteries
Please note: due to numerous collection points now being available to residents at convenient locations, batteries are no longer accepted at Council’s Community Links.
- Small household batteries (eg household, camera, laptop, power tools) can be disposed of through E-waste collection services at waste transfer stations. For more information, please see ‘E-waste disposal’
- Car batteries – dispose at Waste Transfer Stations
Paint, household chemicals and fuels
- Paint – dispose at select Waste Transfer Stations for free through the Paintback program.
- Household chemicals and unwanted fuels - dispose through ‘Detox Your Home’ collection.
The Detox Your Home collection is coordinated by Sustainability Victoria in partnership with local Councils. For more information about what waste is accepted and dates for the next local collections, visit Detox Your Home.
Lightglobes and fluorescent tubes
Light globes – dispose at Waste Transfer Stations
Light fittings and lamps (globes removed) are considered E-waste and should not be placed in your household rubbish bins.
Gas bottles and gas canisters
Gas bottles and gas canisters – dispose at Waste Transfer Stations
Flares and ammunition
- Flares and ammunition can be taken to local police stations
- Ammunition can also be taken to local licensed firearms dealer
Farm chemical drums
You can dispose of clean, non returnable crop production and animal health chemical drums at the Coldstream Transfer Station.
Containers must have the Drum Muster logo, be free of residue inside and out and have been flushed, pressure rinsed or triple rinsed.
Drop of between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Book an appointment for loads of 50 or more containers.
Please note Coldstream Transfer Station operating hours can change at short notice. If in doubt please contact the centre directly.