We are proud to support schools and other early years groups to educate young people about sustainable living in Yarra Ranges.
View a list of current sustainability programs available for schools and early years groups.
Eastern Alliance for Sustainable Learning (EASL)
The Eastern Alliance for Sustainable Learning (EASL) delivers activities to support schools and early years. EASL's goal is to engage with the community in sustainability activities and help schools embed sustainability into their curriculum and operations.
EASL offers a range of events including:
- workshops for teachers, educators, staff and volunteers invovled in sustainability education in schools and early learning"
- a biennial 'Learning for Sustainability' conference for staff from eastern region schools/early years, with keynote speakers, workshops and a 'trade fair' (happening in May 2019, 2021 etc)
- a biennial student leadership event for school students across the eastern region
Attending EASL events can be counted as professional development hours for teacher registration purposes.
To find out about upcoming EASL events, subscribe to the EASL e-news at www.easl.com.au/subscribe
Yarra Ranges Council no longer runs the Learning for Sustainability program, however the program's resources can still be found online on the Learning for Sustainability website
Free Recycling bins for schools and early years
Yarra Ranges Council supports recycling education by providing four free recycling bins to schools and early years centres.
To find out more about this offer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
VISY Recycling Education Sessions
VISY offers a limited number of free recycling education sessions to Yarra Ranges schools and community groups.
The session covers:
- Why recycling is important
- What materials belong in the household recycling bin
- How to reduce waste going to landfill
- How recyclables are sorted at VISY
- What VISY makes with recycled materials
Education sessions are 90 minutes long and are held at VISY Board in Dandenong South. The session is suited to students from Grade 3 upwards, as well as adult groups (max. 30 people per group, and max. two groups may visit from a school/community group as part of this offer).
Transport to and from the VISY site in Dandenong South is the responsibility of the school or community group.
For enquiries or bookings, please complete the online form available on the VISY Education website and the VISY Education Manager will contact you.