Questions and Answers

Fuel management on roads and Council reserves

When is the remaining forest litter on roadsides being collected?

Work is underway and scheduled for completion in November / December 2021. Tree material will be left in sites that are difficult to access and sites where the environmental damage would be too great if we cleaned up. Some stumps will also be left, but only those that are difficult to access and well away from the road. If there are concerns about any areas, please contact Council or Department of Transport and the individual site will be assessed.

How can the risk of falling trees blocking roads be reduced, especially in a fire situation?

We can never eliminate the risk of trees falling and blocking roads, but if you notice changes in trees, they can be reported to the relevant land manager for inspection.

Areas with a particular risk, such as the Black Spur, Maroondah Highway, or particular functions, such as arterial roads near fire refuges, receive a detailed inspection by specialist arborists and tree pruning or removal work is completed by the land manager.

On private property and during the bushfire season, ensuring your property is prepared and having a bushfire survival plan that is practiced, understood, and enacted on days of fire risk is also important to mitigating risk.

Is there a scheduled program for clean up of council land (roadsides, reserves, bush trails and paths)?

Council's Annual Fire Readiness Program details the schedule of works on Council roads and reserves. Any delays are largely due to the current wet conditions. These will be done as soon as we can get access. 

Will tree debris on smaller roads be cleaned up?

If there are concerns about any areas, including smaller roads, please contact Council on 1300 368 333 and the individual site will be assessed. 

How do I arrange for trees from public land that fall on private land to be cleared before summer / fire season?

Contact the adjoining land manager - Parks Victoria on 13 19 63 or Yarra Ranges Council on 1300 368 333.

If you see something that looks like it is in danger of falling please call – some example of issues you might see are provided here: 

Examples of trees

Is there assistance for removal of trees fallen on a boundary fence to crown land or into a creek on crown land?

For information on assistance with trees on a fence adjoining a Council park or reserve call 1300 368 333.  

Why isn't the Warburton oval fitted with underground sprinklers connected to the Yarra to improve the safety of this place of last resort?

A recently installed underground sprinkler system is in place using mains water. With good pressure available, this requires less power than a pumping system from the Yarra River. A system connected to the Yarra River would require a license from Melbourne Water and additional water quality treatment measures.

How do I arrange for trees from Council reserves that fall on private land to be cleared before summer / fire season?

Contact Yarra Ranges Council on 1300 368 333.

How are sensitive areas such as creeks and reserves managed to protect their values?

Council rarely does work around creeks as they are wet and do not need fire management other than removing excessive storm damage. Bushland reserves are managed by Council’s bushland contractors and work required to protect assets focuses on the management of exotic grasses and other weeds.

What plans are in place reduce the fuel load on & around Mt Evelyn Recreation Reserve that has many people playing sport there.

The area managed by Council within the Mt Evelyn reserve is mostly the active sports area where Council mows the grass. In addition, a small part west of the new pavilion is managed by Council where works are conducted as part of a Council / CFA agreed Defendable Space Management Plan.

In the bushland, that is crown land adjoining the reserve, some fuel break slashing to the east and to the south along the pipeline easement is undertaken. The area is not zoned for planned burning from an asset protection perspective for three reasons:

  • It is relatively flat and poses a lesser risk than other parts of the Dandenong Ranges. 
  • Environmentally, burning the riparian strip would be detrimental and not desirable.
  • There is also a lack of existing trafficable control lines to burn to or exclude the riparian strip along the Olinda Creek.

Fuel management and clean-up help on private land

When can fuel clean up start on my property?

Ideally fire management or fuel reduction should be carried out on a regular basis. This will avoid a build up that may be difficult to deal with should there be a spike in the weather. Focus should be on light fuels such grass, weeds, twigs, bark and fallen branches.

What should I focus on to make my property (large or small) fire safe in the lead up to the fire season?

One of the most effective things property owners can do is cutting long grass, removing fallen branches, leaves, twigs and bark – a simple, regular clean-up can dramatically reduce the fire risk. It is this material that can help a fire to spread and grow quickly. As a result of the recent severe storms, there is likely to be a significant amount of fallen trees, on a number of properties. It is important that the branches and foliage be removed, prior to the hotter weather. The heavier tree trunks are much less of a fire risk. Further information is on Council's website:

I am interested in fuel reduction burning on my land. Where can I get information on requirements and assistance?

Fuel reduction burning assistance is evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the CFA. If you are interested in conducting a fuel reduction burn on your property, you should contact your local CFA District Office to discuss your property and burn options further. If CFA is able to assist, they will arrange an appointment for a site inspection.

As for burning off, residents are encouraged to consider a range of options available to them for managing fuel. If a decision is made to burn off, ensure that you adhere to local council bylaws (outside of Fire Danger Period) and always register your burn off. Please click the following links for more information:

CFA’s Property Advice Visit Service offers personalised, tailored advice delivered at your property.

Find out about:

  • Your level of bushfire risk
  • Fire hazards on your property and how to manage them

Receive one-on-one individual advice about:

  • Property maintenance to help lower your bushfire risk
  • Property access
  • Vegetation management
  • Your personal capacity to cope with fire.

For assistance on any of the above, contact: CFA District 13 – Community Safety Team, Community Safety Community Engagement Coordinator or Vegetation Management Officer:

Tel: 8739 1300

Can I reduce fuel on a bush block?

Native vegetation is protected by a number of legislated State and Municipal overlays. However should a bush block require some fuel reduction to reduce the fire risk to assets on adjoining properties, consideration should be given to treatments such as raking dry and dead material and the removal of fallen branches to minimise damage to the environment - if appropriate for that location. Generally though a Planning Permit will be required to remove standing vegetation.


What assistance is available for the clean-up?

More information on tree clean-up

How else is council supporting the disposal of green waste?

Council's Annual Bundled Branch Collections is another way of reducing green waste on your property from the June storm. Collections dates are from November - check out when it's available at your property.

How can I get my Neighbour to remove dangerous trees that at any moment could fall and destroy our house or burn the house down?

If you are concerned about a tree on a neighbour’s property, speak to your neighbour first before taking action. More information on your rights and responsibilities regarding trees on private property is available from the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria.

Council's Recovery website has more information on tree inspections.

Fuel and fire management on public land

What is being done to manage fuel in the National Park?                                                                                   

Information on planned burns across the Yarra Ranges municipality is available on the:

When will the tree debris on the corner of Falls Road and Mt Dandenong Tourist Road be removed?

Clean-up and debris removal is linked to the fuel break work planned in the Dandenong Ranges National Park.

Forest Fire Management has an  access an interactive map of all the Joint Fuel Management Program works that are planned and the location of fuel breaks. 

In addition, and in general, fuel break and fire access clearing is continuing across the park and fuel break slashing will commence in the lead up to summer.

What clean-up is planned for Singleton Reserve and Burke’s lookout.  

Singleton Reserve is a small and unique parcel of land; close to roads and houses. It is not identified as having an immediate fire risk.

External advice is being sought to determine suitable longer term management approaches encompassing vegetation and fire risk management and its future use.

Parks Victoria will engage with the community once the external advice has been received to develop options for the future management of the site. An initial assessment of some of the remaining trees on site have not identified an immediate safety risk.

What plans are in place to manage the trees/fuel on Olinda Creek Road (Parks Victoria land) and access along the Olinda Creek Corridor?

The Olinda Creek corridor is a 'Landscape Management Zone' so is not part of the planned burn program. The focus of work is on clearing strategic access roads and fuel breaks.

Some areas may well be left to break down naturally. Forest Fire Management has information on planned burns, including location of fuel breaks. Maps are also available for download on the interactive website. (Go to Greater Melbourne / Metropolitan map for information relating to the Dandenong Ranges and surrounds).

How will fallen trees left in the reserve behind The Avenue, Montrose be managed to reduce the fire threat to neighbouring houses?         

This area, known as the St Marks burn unit, is being prepared for planned burning this Spring or next.  Tracks have / will be cleared tracks and the fuel break maintained. Fuel moved into the bush will be addressed during burning.

How will the fuel load on the west face of the Dandenong Ranges National Park (below Sunset Avenue and Edith Court) be managed?           

This area has Mountain Ash and is a wetter forest type therefore is not an area identified where a planned burn can occur. Alternative management strategies include a fuel break upgrade, and mulching.

Burning is conducted in the dryer forest that starts from around Viola Ave to the north towards the TV Towers and from The Basin - Olinda Road South towards School Track and Old Coach Road.

How do I arrange for trees from public land that fall on private land to be cleared before summer / fire season?

Contact the adjoining land manager - Parks Victoria on 13 19 63 or Yarra Ranges Council on 1300 368 333.

If you see something that looks like it is in danger of falling please call – some example of issues you might see are provided here:

Tree issue examples Yarra Ranges Council

Where can I find out more about fuel management and planned burns on public land; including the consideration of wildlife, habitat, environmental values, climate change and effectiveness?       

Areas identified for planned burns and other fuel treatments such as mulching or slashing undergo a values checking process where values are identified by biodiversity officers and land managers.

These values are then considered in the planning stage where things like the timing or season of the burn may alter or areas may be excluded from fire. The values checking process also identifies aboriginal heritage such as scar trees or artefact scatter sites so we can protect or exclude them from fire.   

Information on numerous reports including ecosystem, monitoring and resilience can be found on the Forest Fire Management website and other relevant information on climate change can be found on the DELWP website.

Where can I find details about proposed fuel reduction burns including burn objectives, burning prescriptions and biodiversity values within the burn area?

You can search for fuel reduction burns by postcode on the Forest Fire Management website.




Community emergency planning

Do you have any resources that support seniors living alone?

Organisations such as Red Cross have a number of resources to support seniors living alone to plan in the event of an emergency:

Create some new connections through local groups of like minded people. Your local community house would be a great start or contact Council’s Aged and Disability Services and they will be able to provide you with information on groups in your area.

Can you provide a plan or checklist we can use to make my home or property safe?

Checklists to support readiness in times of emergency, including property preparedness, can be found on the Council, SES and CFA websites.

Where can I go with pets if I decide to leave home on a high fire risk day?

Planning for pets is important. Depending on the pet, look to family, friends, boarding facilities, open spaces and pony clubs in low risk fire areas.

For more information on planning for pets in an emergency check the following links: