Traffic and Vehicle Permits

Arterial Roads

Arterial Roads within Yarra Ranges Council area are managed and maintained by VicRoads.  

VicRoads is responsible for the management and funding of these roads. Council is responsible for service roads and footpaths on VicRoads controlled arterial roads as they are considered for use by local residents.

If you need to report an issue on an Arterial Road, please call 13 11 70 or get in contact with Vic Roads

Road Signage

Road signs are generally the responsibility of Council if the road sign is located on a Council managed road. 

If you need to request a sign replacement or repair at an existing sign site please get in contact with us at 1300 368 333.

Road signs on arterial roads are managed by VicRoads.

Frequently Asked Questions

Heavy Vehicles and Permits

Where do I get heavy vehicles/NHVR permits?

If you drive a large or heavy vehicle such as a B-double truck, you may need a permit to use local roads.

Oversized vehicles need a permit for each trip on a local road as well as a VicRoads permit to drive on major roads.

You can find out how to apply for a permit on the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator  or VicRoads websites.

Traffic Calming

Vehicles are speeding in my street, I would like to request traffic calming on my street?

Traffic calming aims to slow motorists who are inadvertently travelling above the speed limit in residential areas by building road humps or other obstructions.

The aim is to:

  • lower traffic speeds
  • reduce accidents
  • lower the volume of traffic.

While traffic calming has its benefits, it is not the answer to all local traffic problems. Please be aware that traffic calming cannot:

  • remove all through traffic
  • eliminate hoon-like behaviour
  • prevent traffic accidents
  • prevent drivers from speeding
  • solve parking problems.


Potential Impacts

Residents should be aware of effects that may happen in areas where traffic calming has been put in place, including:

  • potential loss of street parking
  • increase in noise and fumes next to the traffic calming structures due to slowing down and then gathering speed
  • increased glare at night from car lights and additional street lighting
  • increased maintenance costs to council
  • increase in traffic volume in neighbouring streets
  • slower access for emergency vehicles


Reporting incidences of hooning

Council receives many requests to reduce hooning. However, we do not have the statutory powers to deal with this issue. You should refer incidences of illegal driving (hooning) to the Crime Stoppers Hotline on 1800 333 000 or at the following website

When reporting a hooning incident, provide police with the following:

  • a description of the vehicle/s
  • vehicle registration
  • time
  • date
  • place
  • description of the drivers.

This information will help police in dealing with offenders


Speed Limit

How can I request a speed limit change?  

Speed limits exist for the safety of all road users and can vary due to a number of factors such as the level of pedestrian activity or proximity to schools.

In Victoria, VicRoads administer Speed Zoning guidelines which form the basis of determining the appropriate speed limits across the State.

Further information on speed limits, and how they are determined and set can be found by visiting VicRoads - Speed Zones

In the event a speed limit change has been considered by Council to be necessary, Council is required to seek authorisation from VicRoads to make that change. Once VicRoads has provided authorisation to change the speed limit Council will then erect the new speed limit signs.


Traffic Signage & Mirrors

Vehicles are getting stuck on my narrow road. Can you put up some warning signs? 

The Traffic team can install a 'Local Traffic Only' sign. However, these are advisory only and may not be effective.

How can I request a Traffic mirror?

Council will provide convex mirrors at road intersections where the sight distance is limited and can be improved with a mirror. 

Due to the large number of private driveways across Yarra Ranges Council with restricted sight distance, council is unable to fund convex mirrors for individual or shared driveway access onto a through road. However, council can arrange for installation of an appropriate mirror should the resident/s wish to fund the project. 

At 7 January 2021 the cost of purchase and installation of a Convex Traffic Mirror and a mandatory ‘Distorted Image’ sign is $2,194 for a 1000 mm diameter, stainless steel mirror. The cost may be higher if Traffic Management is required. 

To request a Convex Traffic Mirror please get in contact with us at 1300 368 333.







Unsealed Roads

Can I have speed signs put on my rural unsealed road?

No, as the State default speed limit is 100km/h which applies to sealed and unsealed rural roads

Can I have speed humps installed on my unsealed road?

It is unfeasible to install speed humps on unsealed roads, due to water causing defects on either side of the hump, and they create maintenance issues for graders

When will my road be sealed?     

To learn more about unsealed roads please visit our Road grading page.