Report a drainage issue

You can report a drainage issue online. Please note that as part of this process, you may be asked to identify the type of drain you are reporting on. View information on different types of drains.

Report a drainage issue

You can also report an issue by contacting the Stormwater Engineering Team at mail@yarraranges.vic.gov.au

Identifying the owner of a stormwater drain

Stormwater drains in the Yarra Ranges are owned by property owners, Melbourne Water and Council.

Property owners are responsible for all stormwater drainage within their property as well as the section of drains from their property to the approved point of discharge. The approved point of discharge is the point in which private drainage connects to the responsible authority’s drainage system.

Council is responsible for pipes and pits located within drainage easements, road reserves and the kerb and channel. This excludes house connections to the road reserve.

Melbourne Water are responsible for large-scale pipes and pits, creeks, rivers and other large-scale stormwater infrastructure.

A diagram that shows the division of ownership of stormwater drains

Resolving stormwater runoff issues between neighbours

Flooding or water flow issues between adjoining properties should be resolved between the private property owners involved.

Stormwater requirements for Building & Planning

Stormwater must be connected to a legally approved point of discharge. A point of discharge is usually an underground drain, kerbs or open table drains.

To meet our stormwater drainage requirements for a planning or building permit, please follow these steps:

Step 1: Apply for a stormwater point of discharge certificate

Apply for a stormwater point of discharge certificate

  • Please allow 10 working days for us to assess this application.

  • The construction of an outfall drain to the nearest Council asset may be required.

  • A fee of $144.70 will apply

Step 2: Submit your stormwater drainage plans and computations

Submit your stormwater drainage plans and computations

  • Refer to your planning permit for your stormwater drainage requirements.

  • Please allow 20 working days for us to assess this application.

  • Fees vary from $175 to $1000.

Step 3: Apply for a works within a road reserve permit or a Construction of a Council Asset (Surveillance/Maintenance) Permit

If you are connecting directly to a Council asset, you'll need a Works within a road reserve permit. Alternatively if you are constructing Council drainage to your point of discharge you will need a Construction of a Council Asset (Surveillance/Maintenance) Permit

Apply for a works within a road reserve permit

  • A works within a road reserve permit is required to install any new stormwater connection.

  • Please allow 10 working days for us to assess this application.

  • A fee of $240.50 and security bond (where applicable) of $1000 will apply.

Apply for a Surveillance/Maintenance Permit

  • A Survellance/Maintenance Permit is required to construct any new Council drainage
  • The fee and bond is dependant on the estimated cost of works.  The fee for works under $100,000 is $5500 ($5000 bond and $500 fee). The fee for works over $100,000 is 2.5% of the cost of work plus a bond of 5% of the cost of works.

Apply for works under $100,000 ($5500 payable on application)

Apply for works over $100,000 (You will receive an invoice for payment following submission)


Different types of drains

There are many different types of drains that Council maintains.

The image gallery below outlines the different types of drains you’ll find in the Yarra Ranges and who to contact for maintenance requests.

Drains maintained by Council
  • Kerb and Channel
  • Grated Pit
  • Side Entry Pit
  • Table Drain
  • Cross Road Culvert
  • Silt Trap

If you're not sure what type of drain needs maintenance, view the gallery below.


Drainage easements

What is a drainage easement?

A drainage easement is an area of land reserved by law and shown on Title, that has the specific purpose of drainage.

drainage easement diagram: shows the division of a house, easement and pipe

What is an implied easement?

An implied easement is land not shown in an easement on Title that contains a Council stormwater drain.

Is there an easement on my property?

To locate easements on your property refer to the Title of the property. A copy of the Title can be ordered from www.landata.vic.gov.au.

To request the location of Council stormwater pipes and pits, please email mail@yarraranges.vic.gov.au and direct your request to the Stormwater Engineering Team.

Can I build over easement?

To build over a drainage easement, you must obtain approval from Council and Yarra Valley Water.

Apply online application to build over an easement.


Groundwater and seepage may occur on your property. These are considered natural occurrences. The property owner is responsible for making provisions to manage this water.

Groundwater must not be discharged into Council’s stormwater system.


Sewerage System

For all queries regarding sewerage and wastewater contact Yarra Valley Water on 13 27 62 or South East Water on 13 28 12.

Wastewater from hand basins, sinks, showers, baths, laundries, toilets and swimming pools should be connected into the sewage system.

Water mains

For issues relating to water supply or burst water mains, please contact Yarra Valley Water  on 132 762 or South East Water on 13 28 12.

Locating pipes and other services

For information on underground pipes, cables and other public authority assets, call “Dial Before You Dig” on 1100 or visit 1100.com.au. Council does not keep records of private or domestic drains on a property.

Drainage FAQ

Why are we clearing the drains?

Yarra Ranges Council’s Road Maintenance Program, requires drains to be cleared to allow water to flow adequately from the road and into stormwater drains or nearby paddocks. This makes our roads safer and helps to ensure the longevity of the road network. 

Why is there some vegetation left in my drain?

Some vegetation can be beneficial to the network as long as this vegetation isn’t blocking water flowing through your drain.  It slows down the speed of water and protects infrastructure from erosion damage during high rainfall events. 

Can the operator construct a new drain or make alterations to existing drain?

No, the operator is onsite to clear any blockages in the existing drain and cannot construct new drains or make any alterations. This includes the placement of large rocks (rock beaching) or cement in drains - The placement of such treatments is generally not a long term sustainable solution. If there are ongoing erosion issues these are to be raised with council engineers for investigation.  

Can Residents Request Drains to be cleared?

Residents can request under road culverts and open drain/table drain clearance works by contacting Yarra Ranges Council. Operators cannot take such requests.

Who is responsible for driveway culverts?

Driveway culvert installation, replacement or clearance is the responsibility of the property owner/s. Council may assist in driveway culvert clearance if the blockage is impacting other council assets. An already damaged or brittle pipe may blow out when jetted during maintenance.

What should I do around drainage crews?

For your safety it is important to stay a safe distance away from the machinery. This means maintaining 3 m either side, and 10 m in-front and behind the machinery. This is to ensure your safety and allows the operator to see you. 

What do I do when I am driving and an excavator or backhoe is approaching me?

Excavators and backhoes are large heavy vehicles with limited vision. If one of these vehicles is approaching you, the safest thing to do is to pull up in a safe position and wait for them to pass you.