At its Ordinary Meeting on Tuesday 25 August 2020, Council considered the Planning Panel report for Amendment C186 and resolved to adopt Amendment C186 with changes. These changes include:
- Abandoning the proposed rezoning of the site from the Green Wedge A Zone (GWAZ1) to the Commercial 1 Zone (i.e. no change to the zone).
- Applying the Specific Controls Overlay (SCO) to enable planning permit applications for complementary low-scale uses and development on the site.
- Issuing a planning permit under the existing GWAZ1 and adopted SCO for the use of the site for two nurseries, a café, a retail premises and an accommodation booking office and associated buildings and works, including an additional shipping container to be used for storage and sales, bringing the total number of shipping containers on the site to seven.
Amendment C186 and Planning Permit YR-2019/131 have been submitted to the Minister for Planning for consideration of approval.
On Tuesday 25 February 2020, Council considered the submissions made to the Amendment and resolved to request that the Minister for Planning appoint an independent Planning Panel. The Panel hearing took place via video conference on Monday, 11 May 2020.
Council’s Part A submission can be viewed below. It provides:
- The background to the proposal
- Chronology of events
- Strategic context and assessment
- Key issues raised in submissions
The Part A submission also identifies changes proposed to the proposal in response to submissions.
View council's part A panel submission
- Part A submission(PDF, 502KB)
- Appendix 1: Zoning map(PDF, 340KB)
- Appendix 2: Aerial plan(PDF, 773KB)
- Appendix 3: VCAT decision – Carringbush Pty Ltd v Yarra Ranges SC (Amended)  VCAT 772 (23 May 2016)(PDF, 777KB)
- Appendix 4: Yarra Ranges Council Ordinary Meeting agenda and minutes, 14 May 2019(PDF, 8MB)
- Appendix 5: Authorisation letter from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, 13 June 2019(PDF, 780KB)
- Appendix 6: Yarra Ranges Council Ordinary Meeting agenda and minutes, 25 February 2020(PDF, 20MB)
- Appendix 7: Amendment C186 Explanatory Report(PDF, 239KB)
- Appendix 8: Summary of submissions to Amendment C186(PDF, 352KB)
- Appendix 9: Strategic Bushfire Assessment, Millar Merrigan, November 2019(PDF, 5MB)
- Appendix 10: Bushfire Management Statement, Millar Merrigan, November 2019(PDF, 12MB)
- Appendix 11: Proposed Incorporated Document and Planning Scheme ordinance: Specific Controls Overlay – Schedule 14
- Appendix 12: Exhibited Design and Development Overlay – Schedule 21(PDF, 58KB)
- Appendix 13: Updated draft planning permit YR-2019/131(PDF, 167KB)
At the direction of the Panel, the proponent has provided an expert witness statement addressing bushfire. View the Expert Witness Statement(PDF, 8MB).
The Amendment Proposal
The Amendment proposes to rezone 361-365 Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, Sassafras from Green Wedge A Zone – Schedule 1 (GWAZ1) to Commercial 1 Zone (C1Z) and apply a new Specific Controls Overlay (SCO) to retain the existing subdivision provisions and prohibit the operation of some uses on the site.
The Planning Permit application (YR-2019/131) is to reissue a Planning Permit for building and works permission previously issued under the GWAZ1 (YR-2014/961) to make the permit consistent with the proposed Zone including:
- Permission for buildings and works as required by the Commercial 1 Zone (C1Z), Clause 43.02 – Design and Development Overlay Schedule 14 and Clause 44.06 - Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) specifically relating to six shipping containers housing a tourist information/booking office (office), artist’s studio/shop (retail premises), nursery (retail premises) and storage.
- Seeking planning permission for new buildings and works in the C1Z, DDO14 and BMO, including an additional shipping container to be used for storage and sales, bringing the total number of shipping containers on the site to seven.