Building Disputes

blocks of wood with happy and sad faces

Domestic building dispute resolution

During a building project, a dispute may arise between the builder and home owner(s). If you become involved in such a dispute, you should attempt to resolve the issue directly with the other party before taking any further action.

Information for homeowners 

Find information on how to address a building dispute on the Building disputes, defects and delays page on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website. 

Information for builders 

Find dispute resolution information on the Builders and tradespeople page on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

Unresolved building disputes 

If the issue remains unresolved after you attempted to resolve it on your own, you can visit the Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV) website to lodge an online application for dispute resolution.

DBDRV provides building disputes resolution without the cost and time often associated with courts and tribunals, and has the power to issue legally binding dispute resolution orders and certificates.

For more information, please visit the DBDRV website or call the Building Information Line on 1300 557 559.