Advice for owner builders

Person working on their home renovation

An owner builder is a person who builds or renovates a home on their own land but is not a part of the building industry. Owner builders cannot construct units.

As an owner builder you must obtain a certificate of consent from the Building Practitioners Board under the Victorian Building Authority, for any works over $16,000 which enable you to progress and get a building permit.

You must give your building surveyor the certificate of consent before a building permit can be issued.

As an Owner builder you can only get a permit for a single dwelling and associated works on a single property, in any three year period.

Owner builders must live and continue to live, or intend to live in the property

The Consumer Affairs website contains further information on potential owner builders.