Level Crossings Removal Project - Maroondah Highway update
Published on 27 August 2021
The Maroondah Highway level crossing removal project has been designated a critical state infrastructure project under the latest restrictions. Work is continuing safely with strict COVIDSafe plans in place and we’ll continue to comply with all directions from the Chief Health Officer.
We are managing the number of staff attending our worksites, as well as implementing preventative measures to ensure community safety. Safety measures across the site include temperature screening, additional protective equipment including masks, daily health screening of workers, enhanced cleaning, staggered shifts and break times, and physical distancing. For more information about coronavirus (COVID-19) visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au.
This works alert provides an overview of our upcoming construction blitz, changes to the way you will travel in September and October 2021 and our planned construction activities from Monday 30 August 2021.
Upcoming planned construction blitz (10 September – 25 October)
The boom gates at Maroondah Highway will be gone and the new Lilydale station will be open on 25 October, months ahead of schedule. To remove the boom gates and make the new rail bridge operational, we will be working around the clock between Friday 10 September and Monday 25 October. During this period, workers will be on site with cranes, trucks, excavators, light towers and other large construction machinery in the rail corridor between Melba Avenue and Lilydale Station and on local roads and streets, including John Street, William Street East and West and the Maroondah Highway.
To safely remove the existing bridge over John Street, install the new rail bridge and complete other road works, we need to close both John Street and Maroondah Highway (at the level crossing) from 9pm Friday 10 September until 6am Saturday 9 October. Local access for traders and residents will be maintained and traffic management will be in place to safely guide road users to detour routes on Melba Avenue and Beresford Street.
Changes to the way you travel (September and October 2021)
To complete these works, there will be some planned changes to the way you travel.
||Planned travel changes
|Lilydale line services
||From 8:30pm Friday 16 July to Friday 10 September 2021, a shuttle bus will run between Croydon and Lilydale stations at times outside of planned construction blitz activities, until Friday 10 September while Mooroolbark station is closed. From 8:30pm Friday 10 September to last service Sunday 24 October, buses will replace trains between Ringwood and Lilydale. Please allow up to 50 minutes. Mooroolbark and Lilydale stations will be closed until Sunday 24 October 2021.
||While we remove the Maroondah Highway level crossing and build the new Lilydale Station, the existing Lilydale Station will be closed from 8:30pm Friday 10 September to Sunday 24 October 2021. Both car parks (on either side of the level crossing) will be closed from Monday 6 September, with alternative parking available at the Lilydale Showgrounds and the Lilydale Outdoor Pool.
||From 9pm Friday 10 September until 6am Saturday 9 October 2021, Maroondah Highway will be closed in both directions at the level crossing. • Road users are advised to follow signage and use Cave Hill Road, Beresford Road and Anderson Street to continue towards their destinations safely. • Oversized vehicles and trucks should use Mount Dandenong Road to avoid works near the level crossing. Maroondah Highway is reduced to a single lane in each direction across the level crossing until Friday 10 September 2021.
|William Street East & West
||William Street East and West will be closed until Monday 25 October to safely install the new rail bridge. Pedestrian access will be maintained during this time, with traffic management in place to safely guide pedestrians around construction zones.
||From 9pm Friday 10 September until 6am Saturday 9 October 2021, John Street will be closed in both directions (with local access provided for residents). In order to cross the rail line, road users will need to follow the signed detour route along Cave Hill Road, Melba Avenue and Hutchinson Street.
|Train replacement buses
||Train replacement buses will drop off and collect passengers on the Main Street service road, adjacent to the Lilydale Station Eastern car park (outside Yarra Valley Fish and Chips). Five accessible car spaces and the taxi rank have been relocated to the Main Street service road, close to the train replacement bus stop.
|Pedestrian crossing on Maroondah Highway
||The pedestrian crossing over the railway line to the north side of Maroondah Highway (Lilydale Station side) has been closed until a new crossing over Maroondah Highway opens later in 2021. A pedestrian detour is in place via William Street West, John Street and William Street East. The pedestrian pathway on William Street West will intermittently close due to construction works and the detour will run along Cave Hill Road to meet John Street and then William Street East. Traffic management will be in place to assist pedestrians to safely continue their journey on the approximately 500m detour. Please allow up to 15 minutes extra journey time.
Upcoming works (w/c 30 August)
Maroondah Highway and Lilydale Station
• We will be completing works on the new rail bridge columns near Maroondah Highway.
• New retaining wall panels will be delivered and installed in the Lilydale Station car park.
John Street, William Street East and William Street East
• We will continue to construct the new road pavement for John Street, William Street East and William Street West, including the installation of new drainage systems. These works are expected to continue until Friday 10 September.
• New in-ground services and structural steel will be installed in the rail corridor to support the construction of the new Lilydale Station.
We will continue to construct handrails and maintenance access points on the new rail bridge above John Street.
• Local access will be maintained for traders and their customers while these works are carried out.
What to expect?
Upcoming planned 24/7 works and road, rail, bus and pedestrian disruptions from Friday 10 September to Monday 25 October 2021.
• With the exception of the 24/7 construction blitz between Friday 10 September and Monday 25 October, works are planned to be carried out during standard construction hours (7am – 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am – 1pm Saturday).
• Some 24/7 works may be completed between Monday 6 September and Friday 10 September to prepare for the upcoming construction blitz.
• Road closures on John Street, William Street East and William Street West to enable the construction of new roads and drainage systems.
• Intermittent lane closures on Maroondah Highway to deliver key materials and equipment for our construction blitz.
• Increase in travel times, with road disruptions in place around Maroondah Highway, buses replacing trains between Ringwood and Lilydale and local road and pedestrian detours.
• Traffic management will be in place to safely assist road users and pedestrians to their destination.
If you have any questions about the above information, please contact the Level Crossing Removal Project on 1800 105 105 or via email@example.com.