Changes coming for Disability Parking Permit application process
Published on 30 November 2020
Yarra Ranges Council is one of eight Victorian councils taking part in a pilot program for a new disability parking permit system, being introduced from Monday 30 November.
The Accessible Parking Permit (APP) Scheme is a new online service that will provide significant improvements in the administration and enforcement of disability parking in the Yarra Ranges, freeing up parking bays for the community members who need them most.
Other improvements to the APP Scheme include:
- Making sure the eligibility criteria is consistent across the state
- Allowing Occupational Therapists to complete assessments, in addition to General Practitioners
- Introduction of a permanent disability classification, which will mean no more having to return for reassessment
- Increasing permit length from three years to five years
- Temporary permits now available for 6, 12 or 24 months
- A new single permit design to be used across the state.
Yarra Ranges Mayor, Fiona McAllister, said that the new process was a step in the right direction.
“This new APP scheme will make the application and assessment process a lot fairer, simpler and consistent across Victoria, so we’re very pleased to be part of this pilot program,” Cr McAllister said.
“This scheme is also going to reduce the amount of misuse of permits as they’re more secure making them very hard to duplicate, and they’ll be recognisable across the country which helps when travelling interstate.
“For anyone out there who would like more information you can contact our friendly call centre staff, or get in touch with VicRoads who are facilitating the program.”
For community members carrying a current disability parking permit, that will remain valid until it expires. The new APP scheme aligns with the Australian Disability Permit Scheme (ADPS), with successful applicants receiving a single, secure, state-based permit design that aligns to the ADPS.
For more information on the changes to disability parking and to apply, click here or visit vicroads.vic.gov.au/app.