Yarra Ranges was the epicentre of a violent storm that swept across Victoria in 2021. Locally, this resulted in:
- more than 1,000 homes and business extensively impacted by storm debris
- almost 5,000 properties impacted by flood
- more than 3,000 homes without power and internet for more than month
- 34 communities lost NBN/internet service and were unable to call 000 for assistance.
Council is now more than one year into a community-led recovery process, with support provided by both Victorian and Commonwealth Governments.
However, several outstanding challenges remain for our impacted residences, that require further support from the Victorian Government, including programs for:
- People, Culture and Wellbeing
- Business, Tourism and Economy
- Public Infrastructure
- Environment and Biodiversity
- Planning and Rebuilding
- Recovery Directorate
- Resident Storm Branch Kerbside Collection
To ensure our communities recover effectively, and our environment and infrastructure is rebuilt to withstand future weather events, we require ongoing partnership and support from the Victorian Government.