Maternal and child health services provide information and support to new parents and families.
Maternal and Child Health Nurses are qualified in general nursing, midwifery and family and child health.
Available services include:
- Information on infant feeding - both breast feeding and formula feeding
- Introduction to solid food and general nutrition
- Childhood illness
- Guidance on prevention of childhood injury
- Sleeping and settling
- Behaviour management and positive parenting.
To make an appointment with a Maternal and Child Health Nurse call 1300 368 333
To organise a key ages and stages appointment for your child, complete a request for a callback form.
The service includes a growth and development review at ten key ages and stages.
This includes a home visit and centre consultations at:
- 2 weeks
- 4 weeks
- 8 weeks
- 4 months
- 8 months
- 12 months
- 18 months
- 2 years
- 3 1/2 years
Child referrals may be made to health and allied professionals.
Your child may be referred for:
- speech therapy
- and early intervention services
Nurses refer to a range of family and adult services including:
- financial and relationship counselling
- domestic violence services
general parenting courses
- early parenting centres
- support with anxiety, PND and difficulties transitioning to parenthood
Information about early childhood services are available at Maternal and Child Health centres.
New parent groups offer first time parents an opportunity to meet other local parents. Joining a parent group is a great way to learn more about child health and services available in your community.
The free Maternal and Child Health App connects families with trusted information on child and maternal health.
App features include:
- Nora, the app’s digital assistant, can answer most common child health queries
- a library of information on popular health and development topics
- click-to-call contacts
- prompts for upcoming MCH consultations
- regular updates and messages.
This free app can be personalised and is available for all Apple and Android smartphones.
Download the Maternal and Child Health App