Insect and Bug House
What you'll need
- Can, plastic container or a milk carton with a lid
- Hollow sticks
What is the learning in this activity?
Ages: Age 4+
Purpose: This is a science, nature and creative experience that provides an opportunity for learning about habitats, ecosystems, food chains and life cycles.
1. Using scissors cut a large hole into one side of the milk container and stand up and place lid onto the milk container.
2. Place the tin onto its side.
3. Place the sticks, leaves, bark, and hollow sticks into the containers filling the open space.
4. Place on the ground or in the fork of a tree.
5. Have a look to see each day who comes to live in the insect house.
Qs - Did you see any insects and bugs whilst you were collecting your sticks? Tell me about what you saw?
Extension - What insects and bugs do you think will come and live in your bug and insect house? Why? What is your favourite insect? What do you know about how it lives and how long, and what it eats? Let’s find out more together.
We'd love to see your creations and home based play! Share with us on Facebook at @yrfamilies #YarraRangesPlay
You can contact the YRC Family & Children’s Services team on 1300 368 333 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Print the fact sheet(PDF, 743KB)