Things you'll need for this activity
Empty egg shell
What you'll learn in this activity
Ages: 3 years+ - with parental support
Purpose: This simple activity supports children’s understanding of where our food comes from and the growth process of carrots.
- Wash out an empty egg shell
2. Cut the tops off your carrots – about 1 cm down.
3. Place a damp tissue into the egg shell
4. Place the carrot onto the tissue – top facing up
5. Place on your windowsill or some where that has sunlight and a bit of warmth.
6. Add a small amount of water each day
7. It will take about 2 weeks for it to start to shoot – then pop it into your garden and continue to water regularly until harvest.
Qs - What other fruits or vegetables can be grown from a seed or off cut?
Extension - When the carrot is harvest what meals can we include it in?
We'd love to see your creations and home based play! Share with us on Facebook at @yrfamilies #YarraRangesPlay
You can contact the YRC Family & Children’s Services team on 1300 368 333 or by email at email@example.com
Download a printable copy(PDF, 393KB)