Fun and Learning with Playdough
Things you'll need for this activity
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Cream of Tatar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- And food colouring if you wish
- Mixing spoon
- gladwrap or airtight container
What you'll learn in this activity
Ages: 2+ with adult help and supervision
Purpose: Playdough is the perfect go-to activity for young children as it is fun and supports learning! Playdough helps to strengthen children’s hands and fingers, develop their fine motor skills; eye hand coordination and ability to concentrate; provides opportunities for imaginative creativity; promotes language and provides a calming sensory activity that relives stress.
- Add all mixture together in a bowl.
- Lightly dust bench with flour.
- Once slightly formed roll out onto a floured bench and knead until smooth ball forms.
- When finished using ensure you wrap the dough in gladwrap and place the playgroup into an airtight container.
Questions: This is a great activity to talk with your child about: Measurements, sizes and shapes, quality and measurements, movement and textures.
Extension: add smells to your dough such as lavender oil, cinnamon or mint. To add to the play, you can provide your child with; cupcake trays and patty pans, children’s scissors, leaves, twigs and flowers, toy animals or people, rolling pin, blunt knife or then can just use their fingers and imagination!
We'd love to see your creations and home based play! Share with us on Facebook at @yrfamilies #YarraRangesPlay
You can contact the YRC Family & Children’s Services team on 1300 368 333 or by email at email@example.com