Temporary Outdoor Dining Permit Checklist

outdoor table and chairs

Here are a few things you can do to make sure your business is ready to welcome back outdoor diners: 

1. Check your Public Liability Insurance.

Contact your business insurance provider to review your current Public Liability insurance policy and make sure your Limit of Liability is for a minimum of $10 million and the policy includes outdoor dining. Also check with your insurer that your insurance will cover any area you are wanting to expand your outdoor dining space into.

2. Apply for State Government funding

Eligible hospitality businesses with a payroll of less than $3 million will be given $5,000 by the Victorian Government to help them adapt to outdoor dining. Applications are open now and close on 11 December 2020, visit the Business Victoria website for more information.

3. Start collaborating with neighbours

If you are near other hospitality businesses, discuss whether you can all implement a consistent approach or partner up to create a continuous larger outdoor dining area.

If you are proposing to use part of the footpath in front of a neighbouring business, make sure you have their written consent along with a drawing of what is proposed. The written consent and drawing will need to be submitted with your application. Check your public liability insurance covers any extra area you are proposing to operate from.

4. Make sure you have a COVID Safe Plan and other safety information for your application

To assist in getting your permit application approved by Council, ensure you have considered the following:

  • How will your venue be able to accommodate patron safety and physical distancing?
  • Will the extension to your trading parameters still allow adequate access for pedestrians, residents and essential vehicles?
  • What will the impact of your expanded trading be on local residents and neighbouring non-hospitality businesses?
  • Does your business have a COVID Safe Plan?

5. Start sourcing outdoor dining materials

Adapting to outdoor dining is a great opportunity to support local hospitality supply businesses. Use the Be Kind to Business directory to find local Yarra Ranges businesses and support them by buying supplies including outdoor umbrellas, sandbags, heaters, chairs, tables and more from them. 

If you or someone you know is selling or hiring any hospitality supplies, the business details can be added to the directory. Choose the category 'Hospitality Supplies' when completing the form. If you would prefer to borrow these materials, you can also get in touch with your local church groups, scout groups or other local community groups.

6. Get your photo markups ready 

No drawn up plans are required, you will just need a photo marking out the area you want to use. View what you need to include in your photo markup.

For examples of what you can do to expand your outdoor area, including using car spaces and laneways, view our application page

7. Check your business Liquor Licence, Footpath Trading Permit and Food Safety Requirements

You will be able to apply through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation for a Temporary Limited licence to allow for a temporary extension to your business red line area.

Depending on whether your business is on public or private land, different considerations need to be made. For the most up to date information on what is required, visit the VCGLR website.

Businesses that already have a Footpath Trading Permit, will need to provide their Footpath Trading Permit number with their application. If you are unsure of your Footpath Trading Permit number, please email BusinessRegistrations@yarraranges.vic.gov.au or call 1300 368 888 and Council will provide this to you.

You will also need to ensure your business is up to date on its Food Safety Requirements. Find out your responsibilities on the Victorian Government Health website.

8. Apply for permit

Apply now

Questions? Contact us on 1300 368 333 or outdoordining@yarraranges.vic.gov.au

View Temporary Outdoor Dining Permit FAQ's.