Road & Tourism Signs

road sign.JPG

We maintain safety, advisory, directional and street signs. If you see a damaged or incorrect sign, please report it online or call us on 1300 368 333.

Signs for businesses

Businesses can apply to have signs placed on roadside reserves. Before applying for a sign, review the Vicroads Signing Guidelines(PDF, 5MB) to ensure your business is eligible. Applications for signs on major roads will be referred to VicRoads for final approval.

Apply for a sign

Types of private signs


Tourist attraction signs (white lettering on brown background)

Tourist attraction signs indicate tourist establishments and features of interest which meet the criteria established by VicRoads and Tourism Victoria.

To qualify for a tourist attraction sign, the core business must be tourism based with a strong commitment to servicing visitors. Tourist Attraction signs include: Wineries, Art Galleries and Craft Outlets, Museums and Historical Properties, Accommodation, Primary and Secondary Based Industries.

Service signs (white lettering on blue background)

Service signs direct motorists to essential facilities and services. Generally, the name of the service is not permitted on the signs if there are multiple services signed at one location.

Service signs include:

  • Caravan and camping areas
  • Visitors information centres
  • Restaurants and cafes
  • Service stations

Community facilities signs (white lettering on blue background)

Community facility signs are used for community facilities such as:

  • Churches
  • Golf courses
  • Swimming pools
  • Sports facilities
  • Parks
  • Police stations
  • Civic centres
  • Shopping centres

Retail and other signage

For more information about the plans required for building signs please visit our planning pages.