Events & Grants > Grants & Awards > Stream Frontage Management Program - ongoing
Stream Frontage Management Program - ongoing
If your school fronts onto a river or creek, you may be eligible for funding contributions from Melbourne Water to help you manage the land. Stream frontage management contributions are for work that protects or enhances riverbanks, such as weed control, fencing and planting native vegetation.
Find out if you are eligible and how to apply.
Who can apply
To be eligible, you must:
- live in the Port Phillip and Westernport region, and
- own freehold land that fronts onto a river or creek, or
- manage crown land that fronts onto a river or creek (licensed through the Department of Sustainability and Environment)
We give preference to frontages of more than 50 metres, on important rivers and creeks
What stream frontage funding contributions are for
Stream frontage management funding aims to improve and enhance riverbanks in order to protect river health.
The benefits to you include:
- increasing your land value through improved landscapes and stable land
- improving riverbed and bank stability
- improving the productivity of farms, though better livestock and pasture management, and shelter for crops
- increasing the amount of wildlife living in and near the river, creating healthy habitats and ecosystems
- improving water quality
You will also get a Healthy Waterways sign when your project has successfully completed its first year.
If your project is long-term or will be completed in stages, we will consider providing ongoing funding.
Types of work we can fund
We contribute to a range of materials and works, including:
- streamside fencing
- weed control
- setting up watering points for livestock away from rivers
- new planting or revegetation
- minor work to stabilise riverbanks
- some ongoing maintenance
You could also apply for funding to cover the costs of:
- technical advice
- training and education
We recommend that you contact us for more information to help with your application. Call 131 722 and ask for the river health team. Send the river health team an email