Yarra Ranges Shire Council

Home >   
Residents > Food Registration > Food & Charities

Food & Charities

Community and sporting groups who sell food to the public have a responsibility to make sure the food provided is safe to eat. There are also regulatory requirements under the Food Act that need to be complied with. Fixed food premises eg canteens, require a food registration or notification lodged with your principal council (local council community or sporting group is based or nominated location).  Visit the Food Registration webpage for more information.

Exemptions: Food that is not for sale or for furtherence of trade. Includes Soup Kitchens, Cooking Classes, private functions.

Food Events

Some food events only require a food notification to their principal council. These actvities include:

  • Sausage Sizzles (sausages, bread/rolls, butter/margarine, sauce, onions, cooking oil ONLY)
  • Cakes (no cream)
  • Milk for Tea and Coffee
  • Uncut fruit and vegetables 
  • Low Risk and Pre-Packaged Foods (see guide in Food Fundraisers fact sheet)

All other foods activities will require food registration and permit.  For more details, visit the Food Registration webpage or to apply for registration or lodge a notification, visit Apply for Food Registration webpage. 

Streatrader - Temporary and Mobile Food Premises

If trading at a temporary location(s) or from mobile food vehicle(s) you need to apply on Streatrader - a statewide website.  For first time users, check with your organisation or group to make sure you don't already have your details lodged on Streatrader. If not, then proceed to:

  • enter the Streatrader website
  • create your log in and password
  • enter your registration / notification details
  • lodge Statements of Trade to advise councils where you will be trading

Once your application has been approved, you can lodge future Statements of Trade against that registration / notification.  Classification is based on your activities at these temporary locations. For more information visit the Streatrader website.

Roadside/Public Place Trading

Trading on council property or public land eg. footpath, street or roadside, park, etc., may also require a permit from the Local Laws department. See Roadside/Public Place Trading webpage for more information or contact Local Laws ph: 1300 368 333.

Food Safety

As well as the food safety fact sheets available on this webpage, there are food safety guides and programs available for community groups to utilise. Visit the Food Safety Supervisor & Programs webpage for copies.

Do Food Safely - FREE Online Food Safety Learning Program

This free online interactive program from the Department of Health is informative and fun and includes six topics on food safety and a final quiz. The course covers topics including:

  • safe food storage
  • cleaning and sanitising food preparation areas
  • preventing food contamination, and
  • personal hygiene for food handlers.

It takes around an hour to complete, but can be completed in separate units at the participant's own pace.

Please Note: Do Food Safety is a training guide only. If you require Food Safety Supervisor qualifications see Food Safety Supervisor & Programs webpage for more information.

For enquiries, contact Public Health on 1300 368 333.

Last Updated: 30/07/2013
Yarra Ranges Shire Council © 2009
P O Box 105, Anderson Street, Lilydale, VIC 3140
Tel: 1300 368 333 Fax: 9735 4249