Support for Families with Additional Needs
There are a range of services available for families with children with additional needs. As well as providing the following services, the Family and Children's Services team can help to put you in touch with other services in our local community. For more detailed information, please click on the links below.
Early Intervention Services
'Our Place, Your Place'
Preschool Field Officers
The YVECIS, located in Yarra Junction, is a program for young children with additional needs aged 0-6 and their families. The staff work in partnership with families to assess, develop and implement individual programs for the children.
Small groups of children and their parents meet in a relaxed play environment with a physiotherapist, a speech pathologist and a preschool teacher.
Siblings are also welcome to attend the sessions, which are held during the school term of Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Parents and carers are also welcome to attend the monthly parent support meeting where they can share common concerns and interests.
Our team will work with families to:
- assist the coordination of services for families with children with additional needs
- asses children with additional needs
- provide information, guidance and support for parents
- provide activities for children in a relaxed play environment
- refer children to other specialist services, if required
- support staff in the local community to include children with additional needs
- support children making the transition to preschool or school
The team also runs an informal morning session called 'Our Place Your Place' for parents who have concerns about their child's development.
For further information, or to speak to one of the Early Intervention team, please call 5767 1284
An informal session for children aged 0-6. Parents are welcome to attend if they have concerns about their child's behaviour, communication, physical and social skills. Families are welcome to attend any Tuesday morning between 9.30am and 11.30am during school terms.
At 'Our Place Your Place' you will be able to:
- find useful information
- use the parent library
- get in touch with other resources and agencies
- have formal assessment
- meet other families
'Our Place, Your Place' is located at the Upper Yarra Family Centre, Cnr Hoddle St & Warburton Hwy, Yarra Junction.
PH: 5967 1284 or 1300 368 333.
The Supported Parent and Playgroup initiative provides support for families who might not normally attend a playgroup. They are organised and run by community agencies and are help in accessible, child friendly venues. Click here for further details of Supported Playgroups or call our Community Development Worker on 1300 368 333.
Preschool Field Officers
Our Preschool Field Officers are specialist preschool teachers who provide support to families and preschool teachers to encourage the inclusion of children with additional needs into state funded preschool programs. They can:
- receive referrals from parents, teachers or other professionals
- arrange child study observations in the preschool
- discuss children' s needs and/or progress with parents and staff
- consult and assist in the development of strategies and programs appropriate to the child's needs
- refer to specialist services if required
- follow up on progress as appropriate
- are available for consultations regarding preschool and school readiness
- assist preschool staff to include children with additional needs into their programs
- provide ongoing support, resources and training for staff in government funded preschools
For more information please contact us on 1300 368 333 or email us