Maternal & Child Health
Our Maternal and Child Health team are qualified general nurses and midwives, who have completed further studies in Maternal and Child Health. Their knowledge and skills are constantly updated. Following the birth of your baby, a nurse will contact you to arrange a home visit. At each visit, the nurse will assess your child's growth and development and discuss what you can expect in the months ahead.
Maternal and Child Health Centres are located throughout the shire, and families are free to attend any centre. Please call your preferred centre for an appointment. Click here to find a centre close to you.
A home visiting service is also available for families with particular needs. To arrange a home visit please contact your Maternal and Child Health Nurse.
- consultation on all areas related to family health and well being
- regular physical and developmental reviews of children prior to school
- group programs for first time parents
- lactation advice
- parenting programs
- behaviour management and parenting information
- women's health
- sleep management
- nutrition advice
- support groups
- referral to a range of allied health services
- day stay for sleep and settling, behavioural and feeding issues (contact your MCH nurse for a referral)
Recommended Key Visits:
- 2, 4 & 8 weeks
- 4, 8, 12 & 18 months
- 2 & 31/2 years
The Maternal & Child Health Centres operate at different hours, Monday to Friday, please contact your preferred centre directly for details.
1st Saturday of the month 9am -11.30am at Yarra Junction MCH, by appointment
2nd Saturday of the month 9am - 11.30am at Monbulk MCH, by appointment
3rd Satuday of the month 9am - 11.30am at Chirnside Park MCH, no appointment necessary