Neighbourhood Safer Places - Places of Last Resort
The current designated NSP's in the shire are:
- Monbulk Recreation Reserve, Moores Road, Monbulk (Mel Ref 124 J1)
- Mt Evelyn's Morrison Reserve, Mikado Road, Mt Evelyn (Mel Ref 118 C9)
Halley Supple Reserve, 35 South Gateway, Coldstream (Mel Ref 281 E9)
Queens Park - Don Road, Healesville (Mel Ref 278 E1)
Upwey Recreation Reserve - Chosen Avenue, Upwey (Mel Ref 75 B8)
Belgrave Recreation Reserve - Reserve Road, Belgrave (Mel 75 D12)
Lillydale Lake - 435 Swansea Road, Lilydale (Mel Ref 38 F7)
Lilydale Reserve - 179 Main Street (Maroondah Highway), Liliydale (Mel Ref 38 E4)
Yarra Junction Recreation Reserve - Park Road, Yarra Junction (Mel Ref 288 D7)
Wandin North Recreation Reserve - 420 Clegg Road, Wandin North. (Melway 119 C12)
Yarra Glen Racing Centre - 2 Armstrong Grove, Yarra Glen (Melway 275 C1)
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT NEIGHBOURHOOD SAFER PLACES
Designated NSP's are a place of last resort that may be used during a passage of a bushfire. Whilst a NSP may offer some protection from bushfire, the safety of those who assemble at them is not guaranteed.
Before deciding to head towards, enter or use a NSP in the event of a bushfire please be aware that:
- Many houses will provide better protection than a NSP.
- Travelling to a NSP when there is a bushfire can be extremely dangerous. There is no guarantee that you will be safe doing so.
- NSP's may not prevent death or injury from fire, embers or radiant heat.
- NSP's should only be used when your bushfire plans have failed or cannot be implemented.
- NSP's have only limited capacity.
- There is no guarantee that the CFA or any other authority will be present at a NSP.
- No facilities are provided for people with special needs, including those requiring medical attention.
- NSP's may be uncomfortable and no amenities such as food and drinks will be provided.
- There is no provision for animals.
More information about NSP's can be found at www.cfa.vic.gov.au or by contacting the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667