Siting & Council Consent
The siting of a single dwellings and associated buildings on an allotment greater than 300m2 controlled by Part 4 of the Building Regulations 2006.
Please click on the link in related documents to view the siting requirements.
Where an building design does not comply with the siting requirements (ResCode), you will need to apply for a 'Report and Consent' (often known as dispensation). Applications for siting dispensation are generally advertised to affected neighbours and we will notify them by mail. If an application is refused you can appeal to the Building Appeals Board.
Dispensations are provided for:
- Maximum street setback
- Minimum street setback
- Building height
- Site coverage
- Car parking
- Side and rear setbacks
- Walls or carports on boundaries
- Daylight to existing/new habitable rooms
- Solar access to existing north facing habitable rooms
- Overshadowing of secluded private open space
- Private open space
- Siting of outbuildings
- Front fence height
- Fence setbacks from rear or side boundaries
- Fences on side or rear boundaries
- Fences on street alignment
- Fences and daylight to existing habitable room windows
- Fences and solar access to existing north facing habitable room windows
- Fences and overshadowing of recreational private space
- Masts, poles etc
You can download an Application for Council Consent (Rescode) using the links on this page.
You must also get councils consent to:
- Build over an easement
- Project beyond street alignment
- Build above or below certain public facilities
- Construct a building on land subject to flooding (Building in Flood Prone Areas)
- Build on land subject to uncontrolled overland drainage
You can download an Application for Council Consent (Non ResCode) using the links on this page.
An application for siting dispensation must include:
- A completed application form
- A written submission outlining the reasons for the dispensation. The submission must address the objectives and guidelines provided by the Minister for Planning. Details can be found at the Building Commission website.
- Two copies of plans
- Application fee
For more information contact us on 1300 368 333 or email