Cr Jason Callanan, Chandler Ward
As a newcomer to the Council, I am seeing issues with fresh eyes. Some issues may have been ongoing for many years and now with new eyes, and a new council some issues may be looked at differently. I welcome all to contact me and discuss your issues and see if there may be a new approach to it.
Chandler Ward covers: Silvan, Kalorama, Seville, Wandin, Monbulk and Macclesfield
You can contact Cr Callanan via email, or on (03) 9737 9736. Alternatively you can call Council offices on 1300 368 333.
Some items on my agenda for the short term are:
- Increasing shade space at the Seville Water Play Park.
- Supporting streetscape works in both Seville and Monbulk.
- Increasing road safety awareness over the Christmas break.
- Increasing community involvement with beautification of townships specifically roundabouts.
- Ensuring the community is better informed about issues happening in their area, through online media such as Facebook, Twitter, and the Council's website.
- Treating people as people and not as a number and meeting with as many people as possible to ensure I understand their stories.
- Maintaining an open mind when faced with potential controversial issues within our community.
- Ensuring that I speak and represent ALL people within the community.
For the longer term:
- Planning reform
- Rate/Revenue reform
- Swinburne site development
- Increasing health services to our communities
- Road improvements
I am on a steep learning curve and I welcome anyone who has issues, ideas, or suggestions on how we can improve our council and community. I may not be able to fix all issues, but maybe a fresh approach is all that is needed!
A, little about myself. I am 35, and my professional career is in the Emergency Services (Ambulance Victoria). My current position as a Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance Paramedic (MICA) sees me treat and transport our most severely injured and sick persons. I have been in the industry for more than 15 years and have worked in places such as the Northern Territory, North Queensland and Vanuatu. I have had a mixture of both very rural/remote location experiences (Mt Isa, Palm Island) to metro regions such as Townsville, and Melbourne. I have been exposed to many different cultures and communities throughout my career.
I am married to Lisa and have two darling little girls (1 & 2yrs). I am a volunteer at heart, having served terms in the SES, St John Ambulance and Motorsport Medical Services. I also run a non for profit organisation called ROADwhyz Victoria “choice and consequence” which educates our young drivers about the realities of risk taking behaviour and provides them with skills to improve their decisions behind the wheel.